Dell XPS 400 won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's not a whole lot of information for us to analyze...

how long has the system been doing this; what was the last thing you changed before you started having problems? did you recently install a new hard drive or memory kit? we'll need a little more info before we can give you any recommendations. ususally, a bad power supply or video adapter is to blame for no video, so your best bet would be to try the monitor on another system as a quick test.

dell xps 400

I just recently re-formatted the hard drive. After I installed the virus protection, I got the blue screen. When I re-booted, I got the buzzing and blank monitor.

Is this XPS 400 a Windows XP Home, Windows XP Professional, or Windows Media Center Edition 2005 or later?
How many drivers are missing or flagged in red, yellow or gray in the Device Manager.
Were it mine, I would make sure I had all the Dell downloads for the XPS 400 Service Tag, then reformat and reinstall from scratch using the Dell disk, with the Service Pack 2 and 3 downloads.
It sounds as if you are missing some drivers, or have some incorrectly installed.

The device next to the yellow exclamation mark was not installed correctly, most likely.

Do not install the drivers in order presented. Install in this order
Video, BIOS, Chipset, SATA Drivers, Video Graphics, Network, System Utils, Audio, input devices, applications.
Check the date on the label cover of your hard drive... if over three years old, it may be defective. What is the brand: Samsung, Western Digital, Seagate, Maxtor, Hitachi ? if anything but Western Digital or Seagate, it is time to replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back