Dell XPS400 - blinking amber light

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I left home this morning, all was well with the world...my Dell XPS400 was running smoothly, no indication of any problems. Came home this evening to find the PC basically lifeless, with only a blinking amber power light. No fans running, nothing. All attempts to revive failed. Disconnected power cord, cycled down, reconnected power.....nothing but that blinking amber power light.

Does anyone know what would cause this? Power supply? something else?

Thanks in advance.

You may have had a power surge during the day that possibly damaged the XPS power supply. Did you try unplugging it from the wall and waiting 10 seconds or so. then plugging it back in? Is it connected through a surge protector? If so, try plugging the computer directly into the wall plug

Thanks. That's about what I suspected. Computer was plugged into a surge protector, but evidently that wasn't enough. Did try plugging direct to wall as you suggested, but evidently the damage has been done.

Ebay here I come, in search of a new power supply.

Thanks for the assist!

Make sure the supply is Dell rated... The newer Dells use generic power supplies, but Dell has used proprietary supplies in the past. Trash that surge protector, or use it only as a simple extension cord. Once they are exposed to a surge for just one time, they loose all ability to protect

Thanks for the tip about the surge protector needing replaced - stupid as it sounds, that just wouldn't have occurred to me...and is likely why this happened in the first place, since I'm sure the surge protector has been hit before.

Fortunately, power supplies for this particular Dell seem pretty affordable...so hopefully that'll get me back up & running...will just cross my fingers that the surge didn't get past there, as Hellfire said.

Thanks both of you for the tips/advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back