Dell's new 43-inch, 4K desktop monitor can output four 1080p displays simultaneously

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Philips a few weeks ago launched a massive 43-inch, 4K-compatible desktop monitor, the BDM4350UC. Now, it’s Dell’s turn at bat.

The Dell P4317Q is similar to Philips’ offering in that it also measures 43 inches diagonally (technically, its 42.51 inches) with a maximum output resolution of up to 4K (3,840 x 2,160) at 60Hz). At first glance, the Dell doesn’t seem all that different than the Philips model… until you look at the price tag. Dell’s offering commands more than $450 extra, but is it worth it?

The standout feature of the Dell P4317Q is the ability to show content from four separate inputs simultaneously. Using this mode, the IPS matte screen is split digitally four ways, offering up four full HD (1,920 x 1,080) views, all without bezel breaks. Virtual displays can be rearranged and you can easily zoom into a single window to fully take advantage of the 4K view.

It reminds me a lot of Dish’s Hopper 3 DVR which can split your 4K television into four 1080p views, ideal for sports fans that want to watch multiple games at once.

In terms of connectivity, the Dell P4317Q is loaded. It features a DisplayPort 1.2 connection, a miniDisplayPort 1.2 connection, two HDMI 1.4 connections, a legacy VGA connector, one USB 3.0 upstream port, four standard USB 3.0 ports, audio input, a headphone jack and even an RS-232 port.

Dell says its new monitor is designed specifically for financial institutions, trading floors and software developers although anyone that currently utilizes a multi-monitor setup could conceivably use it.

The Dell P4317Q retails for $1,349.99 with an estimated ship date of May 23 listed on its website.

Permalink to story.

It would be a good product for 1-1.5 year ago. Today it is a bit late into the game, and certainly not at that price point. We soon should see similar products with 8K and DisplayPort 1.4, which will be ideal for any non-game setup.

On a more important note can someone tell the guy in the main picture the importance of keeping routers away from sources of interference. Such as monitors!

Technically it's a $450 4K TV set without TV tuner, but with DP port. I'll pass, til they go down to reasonable prices.

Technically it's a $450 4K TV set without TV tuner, but with DP port. I'll pass, til they go down to reasonable prices.
Not really. You can't compare a 4K TV to a 4K monitor. The electronics are vastly superior to a 4K 60Hz TV. Input lag, colour quality, gtg response and so on. For a gamer, basically any 4K TV is going to be poor.

Look for a cheap 30" IPS 60Hz fast response monitor. Then consider exponential cost compared to diagonal size (minimum of linear vs surface area) at a lowball estimate and that's sort of the price point I'd think is reasonable.

And then you aren't taking into consideration the native screen splitting which 4K TVs to my knowledge can't do?

Technically it's...
Not really. You can't compare a 4K TV to a 4K monitor. The electronics are vastly superior to a 4K 60Hz TV. Input lag, colour quality, gtg response and so on.
I believe You're wrong. If there're are 21"FHD monitors for under $100 and 4K 28"monitors for under $400 then there's no technical reason why Philips 40" 4K TV and 40" 4K monitors based on the same panel should be $500 apart other then milking consumers who's willing to pay on an old "supply and demand" scheme. Samsung already have a 4K@60Hz@4:4:4chroma under 30ms input lag for under $500 (ironically, no DP port, which was supposed to be a free license).

They need better demo images. Launching a workspace and tiling four windows doesn't really convey the advantage of this monitor. Any 4k display can do that.

Cheaper than my 30 " Dell was, now 10 years old, reasonable pricing,if they made these as cheap as some of you would like ,they would have to give away ,the 24/27/30 " monitors for dirt,not gonna happen..! and you'll want your midrange card to push the pixels to it as well, my guess ,lots of cheap Bastards in here,,

I will Buy one Just to watch you cry in 4k.I bet you will look sweet,as ugly as you may be..and its not a fackin tv,
Can you sit up real close to these new 4k TV's for hours on end. ?as you can a monitor....

anyone that currently utilizes a multi-monitor setup could conceivably use it.

The Dell P4317Q retails for $1,349.99 with an estimated ship date of May 23 listed on its website.
For that price I will pass. Knock 1K off the price, and I will consider it. Yeah I know, I'm a cheap bastard.

You ain't alone .... there are a LOT of us cheap bastards out here .... and we're proud of it!

It's pretty funny that this display is connected to a Wyse P25 zero client using a DVI to VGA adapter. Absolutely incapable of displaying 4K content.

I believe You're wrong. If there're are 21"FHD monitors for under $100 and 4K 28"monitors for under $400 then there's no technical reason why Philips 40" 4K TV and 40" 4K monitors based on the same panel should be $500 apart other then milking consumers who's willing to pay on an old "supply and demand" scheme. Samsung already have a 4K@60Hz@4:4:4chroma under 30ms input lag for under $500 (ironically, no DP port, which was supposed to be a free license).
Which Philips and Samsung models are you referring to?

There has been korean monitors available in this size now for well over a year. Search AMH a399 or AMH 409. Then Crossover makes them as well and most can be had for less than $600.

had
You ain't alone .... there are a LOT of us cheap bastards out here .... and we're proud of it!

Spoken like a true Capitalist, in a democratic society,I bet you want top dollar for what you provide though ,huh..?

Why only the chosen ones will own one , when I bought my 30" Dell ,review sites didn't even have them,though I read a reviewer on some site had purchased his own..it was considered extreme HD at the time..and not many cards could push the pixels to it..at its 2560 x 1600 native res..OH ,and at nearly 2 grand per....certainly not meant for everypne,, especially the cheap bastards,sorry! thems the facts..

Last edited:
I'll consider buying it when it includes 144hz and Gsync.

A nice fast 1 or 2 millisecond response time will be the big plus for me . I get a little nausea ,my guess. it's from some games, on the Dell because of the slow 16 ms response time, the newer ones were faster..yeah 120/144 hz and gsync will certainly help with microstutter and tearing the latter of which ,I've not experienced hardly at all..again, don't expect the best displays to be cheap.

had

Spoken like a true Capitalist, in a democratic society,I bet you want top dollar for what you provide though ,huh..?

Why only the chosen ones will own one , when I bought my 30" Dell ,review sites didn't even have them,though I read a reviewer on some site had purchased his own..it was considered extreme HD at the time..and not many cards could push the pixels to it..at its 2560 x 1600 native res..OH ,and at nearly 2 grand per....certainly not meant for everypne,, especially the cheap bastards,sorry! thems the facts..

Yes Sir, and by the way, you are over extended on your credit. Please pay up or we'll have to send Guido to make a courtesy call! LOL

Back