Dell's new 4K displays feature high-end technology, start under $600

Shawn Knight

Staff member

dell ips 4k 4k monitor p2415q p2715q

Those in the market for a decent 4K resolution display at a reasonable price may be interested in Dell’s latest offerings. The 23.8-inch P2415Q and the 27-inch P2715Q are both of the desirable IPS panel type but check in at TN display prices of $599.99 and $699.99, respectively.

As The Tech Report correctly points out, the two displays are nearly identical aside from screen resolution. Both are said to be factory calibrated with wide color coverage at 99% sRGB and delta-E of less than three. Color support for the pair is listed at 1.07 billion although the publication believes we’re probably looking at 8-bit panels augmented by dithering instead of true 10-bit tech.

Elsewhere, the displays can output full resolution at 60Hz (up from 30Hz in earlier Dell models). They also both have 178-degree viewing angles, 1000:1 contrast ratio and 6ms “fast” response times. Specifically, the P2415Q features a 300-cd/m² brightness rating and an 8ms "typical" response time. The P2715Q, meanwhile, is rated for 350 cd/m² and 9 ms “typical” response time.

Connectivity-wise, you’re looking at a four-to-one USB 3.0 hub, an MHL-compatible HDMI port, a DisplayPort connection, mini DisplayPort and a DisplayPort output that allows daisy-chaining of a second screen.

Both displays are pretty versatile as their mounts can be adjusted for landscape or portrait views. You can even remove the mount completely and swap in a VESA-compatible mount to hang it on the wall or attach to a custom display arm.

Permalink to story.

This looks awesome with an incredible price tag, if they only had thinner borders to pair two daaaamn.

Sorry if I misread but there are three posted response times for the two mentioned screens. This may sound dumb but are they variable or something?

"Unlike Dell's initial foray, which was limited to 30Hz at full resolution, these new models can push 3840x2160 images at 60Hz."

Yea only via DisplayPort 1.2 of course.

No HDMI 2.0. Lame!

Save your money and wait till 4k monitors come out with both DisplayPort 1.3 and HDMI 2.0.

Will need both in order to watch the new 4k BluRay releases due to HDCP 2.2.

I don't see the benefit of buying this for me. Playing games at 4K is stupid since you will need an incredible computer to pull that off and 27 inch is to small to use as a tv.

FWIW, Dell's earlier 24-inch 4k monitor, the UP2414Q, can update at 60Hz at 4k resolution. I am using a couple of them now. It's just a bit awkward because it does so using MST, presenting two virtual displays which must be stitched together by the video driver. The newer screens don't require MST for 60Hz update so they are simpler to drive.

Back