Dell's S2240T arrives: 21.5-inch, 1080p multi-touch display for $399

Rick

Staff

"Exceptional usability" is one phrase Dell is using to describe its S2240T, the company's latest 21.5-inch LED display touting multi-touch input. The S2240T is Dell's newest attempt to cash-in on modern touchscreen cachet, a feature now more accessible than ever to desktop PCs thanks in part to Windows 8.

While it isn't the first monitor from Dell that likes to be touched, it is the smallest. At just 1.5 inches smaller than its older 23-inch cousin though, it's nearly half the price; the S2240T is just $399 while the S2340T remains $699.

Despite the lower price tag though, the 21.5-incher offers the S2340T's most important accoutrements sans the ability to lay completely flat. Even so, the S2240T can still get about two-thirds of the way there with its still-flexible 60-degree tilt.

Like the S2340T, the 21.5-inch display sports an edge-to-edge glass design and the same 1080p resolution; however, the S2240T slightly outclasses the S2340T in terms of specs with its 84-percent color gamut and 3000:1 (typical) contrast ratio. The S2240T also comes equipped with 10-point multi-touch input and sports a variety of connectivity options, namely HDMI, DVI-D, VGA and USB 2.0. By comparison, the 23-inch model doesn't ship with DVI or VGA ports, but does throw in a DisplayPort connection and USB 3.0.

Other features on the S2240T include dynamic dimming via an ambient light sensor, 20W average power consumption and VESA mounting option.

Permalink to story.

HDMI + DVI-D + VGA + USB 2.0 doesn't really outclass DisplayPort + USB 3.0, more like the other way round.

No details about CPU/Memory/SSD, not here, not from DELL, suggests those are likely to suck...

I can see this being useful (although a bit expensive) for a business. The place where I get my haircut has a computer where you walk up to check in and they had to put a big sign on it that says 'Use the mouse.' because so many people were poking the screen.

But for home use? I don't see many people wanting to reach out and touch their screen. Like touch screen ultra books, they seem like a solution to a problem Windows 8 created.

Ha-ha :) I was just looking at DELL's all-in-one PC, and for some reasons thought of this one as such PC also... :)

In this case it is way too expensive...
Haha yeah. If this had the Surface Pro Wacom pen included for this price it would be a much different matter. But as is, far too expensive. Just a fun toy.

I can see this being useful (although a bit expensive) for a business. The place where I get my haircut has a computer where you walk up to check in and they had to put a big sign on it that says 'Use the mouse.' because so many people were poking the screen.

hehehe... I remember the movie star trek (original version) in which the crew time travelled to the past and one of them hold the mouse near his mouth and said "computer on".

What the hell is wrong with the good old mouse & keyboard for desktops? If it ain't broke...

Strictly nothing, but generally it depends on the activity. There may be cases where you want a standing, large display for users to interact with. Adding touch capabilities isn't "fixing" anything, it's just adding to it.

$399? No thanks.
Well, it has been 3 months, but I just got one on Dell for $250.00 Free shipping. Now if I weren't such a ***** I would figure out how to use it....;)

I am commenting to myself. But I can say the reason I got it is I have had 1 badly botched neck surgery and two more to follow that we not particularly successful, so once I figure this out...I am hope to alleviate all of the looking down and such that irritates the hell out of my neck. I am in CONSTANT unbearable pain. I am a digital photographer and use Photoshop, neither of which I can do now because, whenon the computer too long, I am in such pain that I literally sob. (And I am 56 and on enough pain meds to probably kill a horse...) I will try anything to get back even one thing that brought joy into my life!!!

Back