Denied as Administrator (Windows 10)

I have a Lenovo laptop running the latest version of Win 10. I am the sole user, and the machine is wirelessly accessing my home network. I am recognized as administrator upon log-in, but when I try to save a file, I am denied, and instead get a system message similar to this one:

C:\Users\pbere\Documents\{filename}
You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator to obtain permission.

where {filename} can be any file name and suffix. It does not just apply to only to saving locally. I cannot save to any location, not just to MyPC, but to OneDrive or my networked desktop computer.

I have been using my laptop without issues for 3 months--and now can only use it for accessing the Internet or reading files, as I cannot save my work.

Last edited:
Can you do anything like
  • runas /user:administrator cmd
and get the command prompt window? (obviously you need the admin password)

I have a Lenovo laptop running the latest version of Win 10. I am the sole user, and the machine is wirelessly accessing my home network. I am recognized as administrator upon log-in, but when I try to save a file, I am denied, and instead get a system message similar to this one:

C:\Users\pbere\Documents\{filename}
You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator to obtain permission.

where {filename} can be any file name and suffix. It does not just apply to only to saving locally. I cannot save to any location, not just to MyPC, but to OneDrive or my networked desktop computer.

I have been using my laptop without issues for 3 months--and now can only use it for accessing the Internet or reading files, as I cannot save my work.

This means you'll need to take ownership. Search for the app online and install it

Hovatek-how-to-take-wnership-ofa-file-or-folder-in-Windows-4.jpg

Back