Desktop vs Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

bj00uk

Hi, How are you?

I am going to University in September and was wondering what people would recommend, as I am doing a Computer Science course. I am staying at home and a Uni in my home city.

Would it be better getting a Desktop and a Low powered laptop just for little task and use the better computers at uni or getting a mid powered laptop and no desktop??

Thanks in advance

Hi, How are you?

I am going to University in September and was wondering what people would recommend, as I am doing a Computer Science course. I am staying at home and a Uni in my home city.

Would it be better getting a Desktop and a Low powered laptop just for little task and use the better computers at uni or getting a mid powered laptop and no desktop??

Thanks in advance

hi there

its just a question of how important portability is to you. laptops are great especially with the advent of mobile broadband but can be tricky if parts fail inside such as the fan, motherboard or AC adaptor connector

i find that desktops are easier and cheaper to repair but thats just my opinion

regards

thanks, can you recommend any high spec laptop under £500 (GBP) which would also be good for games

Notebook Test Results

In its issue Dec 08, the German Consumers’ Mag Stiftung Warentest found the following 15 in. Notebooks as best:

Samsung R560-Aura P7350 Maloz €900
Acer TravelMate 5730-842G2 5Mn €755
Dell Studio 1535 €880

The 2nd one seems best value and will probably be even cheaper now.

If I were you, I would get a really good desktop with a low powered laptop (you don't ever need any great specs for programs at university IMO). You mentioned that you could use the high powered computers at the university itself so why not build a really nice gaming desktop at home (which will also be able to run any resource hog programs you might need)? I always try to keep my work and fun separate so no games / movies / videos / music or any entertainment stuff on my laptop. I reserve those for my desktop at home. Also, if you're really into gaming, desktops are the way to go when it comes to LAN parties etc. (you should be invited to quite a few at university).

Spyder_1386 :)

Thanks for the information bobcat and Spyder_1386.
I am wishing to get invited to the LAN parties. Saw one going on when i went to see the university.

hmm; Standford University, Calif-USA hands each incomimg freshman a laptop
(ought to get something for all that tuition !)

Hope the uni i want to go to would do that unfortunetly there a little tight. We got a 512mb USB on open day. I was well angry im like they shouldnt give us one if they gonna give us crap. They could atleast give us 1GB aint expensive.

hahah 512 hahaha....

build a desktop, its better and cheaper then buying a hp or dell.

(i bought my HP out of ignorance)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back