Desktop wireless internet connection issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats good everyone, I got an issue with my home wireless that can't be fixed by the morons at tech support. It seems they transfer me to different support so they don't have to deal with me. Anyways, I have one desktop in my home. I use At&t, connected to a Belkin wireless router. I use a USB plugin for my wireless receiver. My girlfriend or daughter (I blame them because it's easier) did something, and the connection is...messed up. I have connection to the internet, but it seems that the connection is lost and than found again almost every 5 minutes. Anything I do that is streaming, such as youtube videos or downloading from Limewire, and if I open a web page is affected. Videos and streaming music stop from 5 seconds to 2 mins of playing, and I have to keep refreshing to watch those 5 seconds or 2 mins again. Also, I'm a private security consultant for small business or morons who are worried about their home security, and my connection is needed for when I review videos they send me or anything else. This is a major issue to me for my work, or my enjoyment with music and downloads. Please help?

The first thing to check is whether or not it is your computer (if you have a second computer), then determine if the wireless is to blame or the router itself.

Do you have any other computers for a second opinion? Also, have you tried disconnecting your wireless USB device and connecting your computer directly into your router using a network cable? If the problem persists even while using a network cable, then your router is to blame... and may need to be replaced.

If it works fine plugged in, then we can be relatively sure it is a wireless problem. That could either be your adapter or the router, but if your router works fine wired, I'd probably assume the adapter is faulty first. I don't know if you would have access to another USB wifi adapter, but that would be a good way to determine whether or not it is to blame.

I have no other computers. And I cannot connect the cp directly to the modem because the layout of my apartment does not allow the modem and phone line to be in the same distance as the cp.

update the firmware of your router and the driver for the USB/Network adaptor.

frequently one of these are the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back