Destiny 2 has been pulled from Battle.net, now available from Steam for free

Polycount

Staff

In June, we reported on Destiny 2 developer Bungie's decision to split off from publisher Activision, taking their flagship franchise with them. This decision was reportedly made after the studio grew tired of Activision and its tendency to exert control over the projects it helps fund.

As you might expect, this parting-of-the-ways led to quite a bit of other Destiny 2-related news, including Bungie's announcement that the game would be going free-to-play. Further, due to the nature of the split, it was revealed that Destiny 2 would no longer be sold on Blizzard's (or, nowadays, Activision's) Battle.net storefront; instead, Bungie planned to distribute their content via Steam.

This week, that migration finally began to take effect. Destiny 2 has now disappeared from the Battle.net launcher, and officially launched on Steam. The game is now available at no cost and free account migration services have been made available to existing players.

Alongside the game's free-to-play Steam launch, Destiny 2's latest expansion will be arriving on the digital distribution platform for $34.99. While the expansion is not strictly necessary to enjoy your time in the game, it will bring quite a bit of new content, including new Exotic gear, new story missions, as well as a new planet, dungeon, and raid.

If Digital Deluxe editions are more your speed, Shadowkeep has one of those, too. It'll run you $59.99, including the game's latest season pass and some expansion-themed items.

Permalink to story.

I tried multiple times to move my account over, but repeated errors through three different browsers for over an hour was very frustrating. It was a broken process for me.

Account migration services are now all down and from what I read, those who didn't transfer yet are now SOL... Lost my game, season pass and all expansions I guess. No email from them either... DANG!

Wow, so screw your customers who already bought the game by 1. not letting them know and 2. making the migration so broken they are screwed . Big middle finger back atcha bungie.

Wow, so screw your customers who already bought the game by 1. not letting them know and 2. making the migration so broken they are screwed . Big middle finger back atcha bungie.
Except for:
1: Bungie announced this in June.
2: The cross-save / migration tool has been available since August 21, everyone waiting until the last minute to migrate, stupid.
Yep, also the migration is on bungie.net not battlenet. You can still do the transfer. Myself I migrated a few months ago, took me all of 2 minutes with no trouble.
It was advertised on gaming media, battlenet launcher and in game, if you missed it you weren't playing the game in the first place.

Yep, also the migration is on bungie.net not battlenet. You can still do the transfer. Myself I migrated a few months ago, took me all of 2 minutes with no trouble.
It was advertised on gaming media, battlenet launcher and in game, if you missed it you weren't playing the game in the first place.
Even more than that I had stopped playing the game and was notified via email more than a month ago. Process took a few minutes without any issues for me too.

Error when launching the game, tells me to verify installation integrity, I do that, throws the same error.

I finally manage to launch it somehow, "Destiny 2 servers are at capacity" (sic). GJ Bungie!

Error when launching the game, tells me to verify installation integrity, I do that, throws the same error.

I finally manage to launch it somehow, "Destiny 2 servers are at capacity" (sic). GJ Bungie!

I’m getting that message as well. I’ll try again tomorrow. Maybe they didn’t expect so much attention after switching to Steam.

It's buggy as heck... works half way and then freezes, then you have to close one screen to access another overlayed.. what a major mess this whole thing is.

Even though the migration was simple they dropped the ball on the first day. Kept getting dropped from the server, restarted game and was ok for an hour. Then got kicked out in to a cue, gave up after 15 minutes. Not good bungie.

It's buggy as heck... works half way and then freezes, then you have to close one screen to access another overlayed.. what a major mess this whole thing is.
Well it said it had failed but then when I fired up the game on Steam my character was there. So agreed it is a bit of a mess.

Account migration services are now all down and from what I read, those who didn't transfer yet are now SOL... Lost my game, season pass and all expansions I guess. No email from them either... DANG!

I was having issues with this before as well thinking that I was hosed, I found that to get it to work though I have to sign in using my battle.net profile, and then go through the process to get it to work properly, otherwise it would repeatedly tell me I need an appropriately connected bungie account.

After doing this by signing into my battle.net profile I hopped on steam and saw that they had migrated all of my old characters and set their light score to 750.

I received an e-mail about this from Blizzard on August 30th. Migrated then, worked just fine.

People I guess didn't bother checking their e-mail? Everything I get from Blizzard stands out as I have a custom label set for it (gmail yay).

After the move, we had to finalize things after the launch, which was also a stopping message when you tried to login to the game. It clearly stated if you progress any further without migrating, you'll lose everything.

As far as I can see, you can still migrate; there doesn't seem to be an end time in the FAQ on the page for it?

Regardless, if you lost your stuff, you're kinda at blame here.

Doesn't save the game from being good though, or all of us losing at minimum $60 from our original purchases, which really really sucks.

I got it for free on Battle.Net a while ago. Haven't touched it cause it's shite. Nothing has changed since then.

It's free, but you have to use Steam. Strange definition of "free". There's always "free" cheese in a mousetrap.

Back