Destiny 2 is free to keep if you download it on PC before November 18

Polycount

Staff

Destiny 2 got off to a rocky start but the game has definitely recovered in the months since its release. Now, the MMO-like shooter is considered one of the better "live service" titles on the market, thanks to a few well-received DLC packs and a wide array of free content patches.

If you're a bit late to the party and haven't given Bungie's latest multiplayer shooter a shot yet, you're in luck; so long as you're a PC gamer. After less than a year on the market, Destiny 2 is now available for the low, low price of $0. In partnership with Blizzard, Bungie is offering Destiny 2 completely free, forever, as long as you snag the game before November 18.

There are no hidden catches or restrictions, other than the fact that you'll need a Battle.net account. Of course, this free offer doesn't include the game's DLC, which is recommended by many players for the best experience.

If you don't want to commit to buying the DLC without testing it, you can try one aspect of it for free this weekend: the "Gambit" game mode, which is ordinarily exclusive to Destiny 2's Forsaken expansion.

Gambit is a PvE/PvP hybrid mode that pits two teams of four players against each other in an intense battle for resources. When either team reaches 25 and 50 "motes" (the game mode's currency), one teammate can invade their opponents through a portal. The free testing period for the mode ends on November 11.

If you want to try Destiny 2 and you don't already have the Battle.net launcher, you can download it right here. According to PC Gamer, you'll also need to activate Blizzard's SMS Protect 2-factor authentication before you can claim the game.

Permalink to story.

I don't know if it's true about 2FA but do NOT use 2FA you need to have BlizzardApp. After you logged in the notification center sends new message that you have a gift (on the right upper corner). Once you click on the gift icon it opens with Destiny 2.

I don't know if it's true about 2FA but do NOT use 2FA you need to have BlizzardApp. After you logged in the notification center sends new message that you have a gift (on the right upper corner). Once you click on the gift icon it opens with Destiny 2.
Could you clarify what you mean? Do you also have SMS Protect enabled for your account, or is the app all you needed?

Could you clarify what you mean? Do you also have SMS Protect enabled for your account, or is the app all you needed?

He's saying that if you enable two factor authentication, you'll have to install an app on your phone. I got the game and all I had to do was enable SMS.

I think anyone who plays any games through the battle.net app are auto notified of this. my friends on discord said they got destiny 2 free all of a sudden right before they fired up overwatch. I did not get this message because I already owned destiny and overwatch.
If my progress from console transferred over, then I might be interested...
I don't think it's a part of that xbox crossplay stuff for windows 10 so I think you're out of luck.

Wow it flopped this bad? This is only to get better figures for investors "we have this many million players on PC" without mentioning they had to give it for free and pay game journalists to get more coverage on it being free. It's just a store front, why would I pay 60€ for something that you your self give value of 0$? Just look at the newest tombrider and how it went to sale quick after flopping so they could sell the real product, DLC. If you make freemium games make em free, punishing loyal customers by making them pay to get the store you sell them stuff on is unethical. Early supporters and biggest fans suffer most, those people who actually buy your products.

launch battlenet app for windows.
login to your account.
beside your account name, a 'gift' is seen.
click on the 'gift' and claim the free destiny 2 game (without the new expansion)

Wow it flopped this bad? This is only to get better figures for investors "we have this many million players on PC" without mentioning they had to give it for free and pay game journalists to get more coverage on it being free. It's just a store front, why would I pay 60€ for something that you your self give value of 0$? Just look at the newest tombrider and how it went to sale quick after flopping so they could sell the real product, DLC. If you make freemium games make em free, punishing loyal customers by making them pay to get the store you sell them stuff on is unethical. Early supporters and biggest fans suffer most, those people who actually buy your products.
I can't speak for other outlets, but nobody has paid us to cover this.

It's a free game (for now), and several in our audience have been following Destiny 2 for a while (whether it's as amused bystanders watching what they perceive to be a trainwreck, or true series fans). Thus I chose to cover it - it's no more complex than that.

That said, I agree with your overall point. I'm no fan of Destiny 2 myself and wish it had been MTX-free (not a fan of MTX in $60 games). I've pretty much stopped buying these "live service" games until a lot of time has passed since release. Missing content typically gets patched in, the game drops in price and probably gets all of its DLC bundled, balance issues get fixed, etc.

I find this type of generic, online grind fest, DLC reliant shooter horribly dull. Bungie really have been disappointing in the 8 years since Halo Reach.

However it has never been a better era for budget minded gamers. There is so many games you can play for $0 these days, or 'given away' with relatively cheap subscriptions.

I kind of wish it was so back when I was a kid when I had plenty of time but no money. Now I have plenty of money but no time. Isn't that often the case. Oh well.

Claimed the gift, Destiny 2 appears just like any of the other Blizzard games I actually bought.I saw no need to download it, but I should do it just to be safe.

Decided to check it out... figured it's worth it for free, and I guess it is. Played a couple hours so far. The story is really, really bad. Gameplay was fun the first 30 minutes but is already getting boring... this game feels kind of like bad Borderlands. I dunno how people spend hundreds of hours grinding this snoozefest.

It's so much worse than the Bungie Halo games of old... what went wrong?

Decided to check it out... figured it's worth it for free, and I guess it is. Played a couple hours so far. The story is really, really bad. Gameplay was fun the first 30 minutes but is already getting boring... this game feels kind of like bad Borderlands. I dunno how people spend hundreds of hours grinding this snoozefest.

It's so much worse than the Bungie Halo games of old... what went wrong?
I played a few hours. I think the gameplay is good, but I'm not so sure I want to invest all the time required to fully get a handle on the vast economy, upgrade system, Mission paths, etc. I'm also concerned about all the DLC I'm hearing about. Some say you cant really enjoy it without getting all of the other expansions. I don't have that kind of time anymore.

Back