Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Benchmarked, Performance Review

Steve

Staff member

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided has some pretty big shoes to fill. Not only is it one of 2016's most hyped video games, but 2011's Deus Ex: Human Revolution is also a hard act to follow having received very positive reviews among reviewers and gamers alike.

Mankind Divided is built on the "Dawn Engine," which is derived from the proprietary IO Interactive Glacier 2 game engine used in Hitman: Absolution. Point being, like Hitman, Mankind Divided will support DirectX 12, though that will be patched in at a later date (AMD says September 4). Along with DX12, the game features an extensive library of AMD technologies such as TressFX 3.0.

Taking that into consideration, today's testing is naturally limited to DirectX 11 with plans to revisit Mankind Divided performance in September. With that, let's discuss how we'll be testing the game...

Read the complete article.

Is it just me, or did it seem like there was very little difference in the quality of the screenshots? Medium looked just as nice as Very High, which looked just as nice as Ultra. Or at least that's how the stillshots looked on my screen.

Maybe they'll look different in game play...but otherwise I'm not sure there's a whole lot of appeal in playing at the higher quality levels...

Very good performance review. This is exactly what I was looking for. I really can't think of anything left out. I'm excited to try this out on my 1070.

MSAA in particular is a KILLER for this title; Its so bad, I honestly wonder if they have an AA processing bug or something. By contrast, Temporal AA is basically free and does a far better job with the jaggies, but you lose texture quality.

The AMD CPUs still looking overpriced and underpowered, as the AMD FX 9590 gets beaten by an i3 6100 that costs half the price...

MSAA in particular is a KILLER for this title; Its so bad, I honestly wonder if they have an AA processing bug or something. By contrast, Temporal AA is basically free and does a far better job with the jaggies, but you lose texture quality.
Correct, I have GTX 1080 and when I turn MSAA on, FPS will drop to 5-10, which its sucks :/

I knew the 390X would be as strong as the 980 Ti eventually. I find it absolutely hilarious that this article would look at the benchmark and say "Yeah get 2 x Titan's for 4K". Why? So they can lose to a Fury X in a year? smh...

The sad reality is that because AMD hasn't launched Vega yet, there is no card out now that can run this game as well as we would like.

P.S. Before people freak out about AMD-bias keep in mind the 1080 has about the same TF"s as the Fury X, so no one should be surprised they are performing so closely now that companies are finally taking advantage of AMD's shader power. LOL they haven't even added DX12 yet. Bloodbath incoming when the RX 480 matches the 1070. Welcome to the new normal people :D

Very good performance review. This is exactly what I was looking for. I really can't think of anything left out. I'm excited to try this out on my 1070.

At this point Techspot is who I consider the best benchmarkers. Always fair, always thorough, ans unlike most of these types of sites - visually pleasing graphs!

Once again, very comprehensive and thorough. Thank you very much, Steven.

Thanks mate you are very welcome.

AMD cards seem to be much better than Nvidia's. Especially GTX 970 gets beaten very badly.

Given this is an AMD supported title, that isn't terribly surprising. Nvidia might find more performance in the coming weeks.

I think this is just the new normal. Expect the same in BF1, and get ready for it to be worse when DX12 comes out.

It would be interesting if you fully explored Nvidia's longevity once some more modern games come out...

I wonder how many Nvidia users will claim this game as buggy because their $400+ dollar video card is beaten by a sub $400 dollar video card? The Fury X is below $380 and the 390x is less than $300 dollars now. Now the funny thing is, these benchmarks were done with Directx 11, I don't know if the game support Directx 12, but if it did, AMD would have been completely on top of the charts, since AMD shines with DX12. When games are created equally, performance for AMD is great, when Nvidia pays game developers to optimize code for their hardware, AMD loses.

The AMD CPUs still looking overpriced and underpowered, as the AMD FX 9590 gets beaten by an i3 6100 that costs half the price...
Yes, but keep in mind that gaming is not what CPUs are all about. It might be slower in games but faster in some other aspects that dont include gaming.

AMD cards seem to be much better than Nvidia's. Especially GTX 970 gets beaten very badly.

Given this is an AMD supported title, that isn't terribly surprising. Nvidia might find more performance in the coming weeks.

Great review Steve! I look forward to updated benchmarks once AMD/NV have had time to update their drivers and the game has been updated with the DX12 patch. It will be interesting to see how much more can GCN gain from DX12? Performance for Kepler cards vs. their GCN counter-parts seems downright awful at the moment. Hard to believe that 780Ti that cost $700 USD is only getting 47 fps on Medium settings at 1080p and the $400 R9 290 is averaging 61 fps!

What I did find unusual was the performance standing of 980 and 980Ti, both at 58 fps averages, with just 1 fps minimum separating them. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me given the delta between 970 and 980 was 8 fps. It's also hard to believe that GTX1060 is faster than 980Ti. Can you please double check your results again:
https://www.techspot.com/review/1235-deus-ex-mankind-divided-benchmarks/page2.html

Radeons look terrible here, what happened?
This is an AMD game? Yeah good luck with that.

Only thing doing work is the 1080.
Both sides need a few driver updates and DX12 will help.

Congrats Steve, nice work indeed!

I was wondering, I know this is probably a bit cheeky to ask but... Do you plan on updating this article when the DX12 patch hits later this year?

Edit: I was too hasty to look at the benchmarks, I've read the article in full now, ignore this comment. In fact, I'm so ashamed, pretend it never happened :cool:

Radeons look terrible here, what happened?
This is an AMD game? Yeah good luck with that.

Only thing doing work is the 1080.
Both sides need a few driver updates and DX12 will help.

Are you reading the same graphs? The old Fury X is next to the 1070 BEFORE DX12. It may reach the 1080!

Correct, I have GTX 1080 and when I turn MSAA on, FPS will drop to 5-10, which its sucks :/
Same with me. I turned off MSAA, kept TAA on and turned on the exclusive fullscreen option and now I get a smooth 60 on very high settings at 1440p.

Same with me. I turned off MSAA, kept TAA on and turned on the exclusive fullscreen option and now I get a smooth 60 on very high settings at 1440p.

Game looks great without MSAA. And btw this FPS drop is par for the course. MSAA has ALWAYS been taxing lol. Not sure why people just noticed it now.

Doesn't make sense that this game is so demanding. If witcher3 can play at decent fps at 1440p on a GTX 970 with high settings, there's no reason a game that looks like this can't either. They need some optimization patches badly for this. Won't be buying it till it's all patched up.

MSAA performs poorly and doesn't handle post processing effects well. It was problematic even back in the DX8 days.

Why aren't there any SMAA modes?

You must have some kind of error in your 1080p medium results with the gtx 980 ti . I am running the benchmark with medium preset selected at 1080p and I get 92.3 fps average with 74 fps minimum . I own a factory overclocked msi gtx 980 ti gaming 6g but still your results must be wrong .

Back