Developer mod brings video and audio Chromecast streaming from any app

Justin Kahn

Google's Chromecast is primed to be one of the better media sharing solutions on the market, especially once third party developers starting implementing Chromecast streaming directly in to their apps.

Fortunately, those who just can't wait for that to happen won't have to.  Developer Koushik Dutta has been hard at work on mods over the last couple weeks that will enable Chromecast sharing through existing apps. Now the developer, known as Koush, has posted a video of the mod in action.

developer chromecast google video streaming tv cyanogenmod hbo go koushik dutta

Chromecast sold out in stores quick, no doubt helped by its affordable $35 price tag. But there is a good chance many consumers didn't consider the fact that it will only be streaming video from Google Play, YouTube, Netflix, or a Chrome tab at this point. Well, at least initially anyway. We have heard that Pandora and HBO Go along with Vimeo and Verizon are all planning to support Chromecast natively in the future.

Koush initially revealed several different work arounds, but has just recently began posting about the fully integrated version. He is one of the developers responsible for CyanogenMod and has now built the Chromecast streaming functionality right into the ROM.

Like you would imagine, an icon now appears in Koush's notification tray that allows for audio and video streaming directly to a TV. He says that the mod will work with any app that was built on the Android MediaPlayer API and running on CyanogenMod.

If you haven't had a chance yet, you can check out a compilation of Google Chromecast reviews here.

Permalink to story.

Forgive my ignorance, but If a developer was a able to do this, why doesn't Google implement this level of streaming into Android natively (or maybe they will in Key Lime Pie?) ?

Forgive my ignorance, but If a developer was a able to do this, why doesn't Google implement this level of streaming into Android natively (or maybe they will in Key Lime Pie?) ?

xactly, Chromecast came out at the same time as Android 4.3 so its doubtful they had time to add this feature directly into the OS itself. Besides, they count on developers to do some of the legwork so that they can then implement it themselves after watching someone else do it. Otherwise how would they sell the "open OS" concept of Android over iOS? Gotta leave some of the fun stuff for the developers.

But this means you have to use their ROM on your Android tablet, Android Desktop, Android laptop an etc. Make it apk app so everyone doesn't have to use their ROM to run it. This where I won't even go there. I don't have this Chromecast as I knew there was something Google didn't mention during the Live Webnar about it.

The other way is to run Mini HDMI out to full HDMI cable to HDTV or Full HDMI to Full HDMI. Or you can get one of those Android Equiso media streamer which has HDMI connector and turn your HDMI port into Android Computer on your PC. Comes with Remote/Keyboard.

Then you can run Archos Video Player on your HDTV without the need to run it off your Android Tablet. The cost of this Equiso Streaming Smart Stick cost $39 bucks.

They can but they don't want to. They make money if you buy content via the play store so it's in their best interest to make you start there. They are smart though in that opening it up to other apps will broaden it's appeal to a wider audience which means more potential for google play purchases.

Back