Diablo II: Resurrected will be a faithful remaster of the iconic game

mongeese

Staff
Editor's take: After years of clamoring for a Diablo II remaster, fans are finally getting what they want. And, cross your fingers, it seems to be exactly what they want: a genuine, respectful remaster, not another awful half-baked update like Warcraft 3: Reforged.

At BlizzConline, Blizzard officially announced Resurrected will be the long rumored Diablo II remaster, with the pleasant news that it's slated for release sometime this year. It’s a remaster of both the original game, now more than two decades old, and its expansion, Lord of Destruction.

Resurrected preserves the gameplay of the original Diablo II while revamping (or "resurrecting," according to Blizzard) the graphics and interface. Blizzard’s Robert Gallerani described it like this to Kotaku: "70 percent of the look and feel had to be dead on nostalgia, exactly what you remember. But 30 percent is a more modern take, more flourish, more fidelity, things like that."

Of course, the biggest change is visual. None of the new game's assets were resurrected without extensive improvements, and many were remade from scratch because the original files were lost. The game’s cinematics, about half an hour’s worth, have also been remade. In my personal opinion, the new visuals are very handsome, though they aren’t quite as dramatic as the original game’s.

The remaining changes are best described as quality of life improvements. Automatic gold collection is now a toggleable feature, which is a godsend. The personal stash has increased from a 6 by 8 grid to a 10 by 10 grid (but you can still play inventory Tetris if you want) and the stash can be more easily shared between characters associated with the same account. And there are easier item comparison tools, etc.

Resurrected is also touting some cool modernizations. There’s improved multiplayer support for up to eight players. You can play offline if you want, but if you deign to sign in you’ll have cross-progression and cross-generation play -- meaning PS4 and PS5 players can play together, but not with Xbox players.

Speaking of consoles, Resurrected will support the PS4, PS5, Xbox Series X/S, and the Switch. At the moment, there’s conflicting information about Xbox One support, so that’s a firm maybe. And, of course, there’s PC support: in fact, on PC, you can already pre-order the game for $39.99 or sign up for the limited Alpha test coming soon.

Permalink to story.

For years there have been high ranking employees within Blizzard that steadfastly refused to relaunch old and much beloved hits.

After the success of historic proportions of WoW Classic, Bobby Kotick was like "Hey, this thing works".

So the ppl who put up the "wall of no" were silenced or left the company to the happiness of the fans.

For years there have been high ranking employees within Blizzard that steadfastly refused to relaunch old and much beloved hits.

After the success of historic proportions of WoW Classic, Bobby Kotick was like "Hey, this thing works".

So the ppl who put up the "wall of no" were silenced or left the company to the happiness of the fans.
I loved the original Diablo, bugs and all. I cannot express how much I want them to just patch it so you can play online again. All they have to do is change the port numbers, it's infuriating

Diablo 2 + LoD still works even on 64-bit Windows 10. I've moved on to Linux now, and Diablo 2 + LoD still works perfectly under WINE.

I don't see the point of a remaster. According to the above, a 30% addition might be reworked sprites and lightings. And on the other hand, the foreboding feeling and the gothic, awe-inducing graphics will be destroyed if moved to full 3D engine, like how the so-called (because imho, it's not worth to be a successor of) Diablo 3 destroyed the franchise. (The loss of day and night cycles, fixed maps and others in D3 all are degradations compared to D2).

For me, Diablo died with D2+Exp.

And the true Blizzard died after Warcraft III. (Some say after Starcraft II, but geo-locked activation during it's release turned me off at that time.)

Just an FYI for anyone interested - they have confirmed that there won't be local coop on a single device so no couch coop like Diablo 3 on the consoles and the forthcoming Diablo 4. I have played it that way for many hours with my wife on 360 and XB1 and now XSX. Its really good. D4 will be the next Diablo with couch coop for consoles.

Just give me back my non-degraded Necromancer with my legion of death! :D And I will be fine.
Really can't wait sice the DII is the best Diablo in my eyes, DIII is just way too much of a downgrade in terms of RPG elements ... and "story" if you can even call it that.

I guess Blizzard can only do remasters of their old games or add expansions to their current successful games...which happen to also be old. Can you see the pattern?

I wouldn't trust them to do this properly no matter what they say. If you still put stock in Blizzard not screwing things up you're out of your mind.

Blizzard today is just a milking company. They only dumb down, degrade and turn to cartoons their original masterpieces to ensure a wider audience, I.e. 10 year olds buy the game, while constantly lying hardcore fans about "faithful remasters" and "returning to the roots". They reforged W3 into garbage, graphically regurgitated SC1 characters and now it`s time for D2 to look like D3 unicorn level and mind you, looking like D3 would be bad enough.

Diablo 2 + LoD still works even on 64-bit Windows 10. I've moved on to Linux now, and Diablo 2 + LoD still works perfectly under WINE.

I don't see the point of a remaster. According to the above, a 30% addition might be reworked sprites and lightings. And on the other hand, the foreboding feeling and the gothic, awe-inducing graphics will be destroyed if moved to full 3D engine, like how the so-called (because imho, it's not worth to be a successor of) Diablo 3 destroyed the franchise. (The loss of day and night cycles, fixed maps and others in D3 all are degradations compared to D2).

And the true Blizzard died after Warcraft III. (Some say after Starcraft II, but geo-locked activation during it's release turned me off at that time.)

I watched the trailer on my phone and I thought they were using Ultra HD sprites.

I only learned that those were actually 3D models when I watched the Deep Dive presentation by some of Vicarious Visions team handling the remaster.

I like the sort-of-forced isometric 2D perspective they use -- which I guess is what fooled me into thinking that they were using UHD sprites.

The creepy atmosphere of the OG though wasn't lost to me -- the remaster looks like how the OG would've looked like if it weren't for the limited tech back then.

The visuals, I think, would've been a good transition from 2D to full 3D which Diablo 3 should've used instead of jumping straight to full 3D.

I really get your point as a huge part of the graphic style seems to be lost in remaster.
I am quite curious how they will handle the music and sounds.
DIII childish atmosphere can be improved with sweet FX injector and better colour balance, but it's still far from DII style - too bad Activison Blizzard did not embrace the community and not added full support for, at least, visual mods.

What I don’t understand is why they will support up to 8 players in D2 but not in D3 or the upcoming D4?

One of the best things in D2 was rocking up to Baal with each playable character class and giving him a beat down. That was never possible in the later games.

You can argue it’s for balance or to reduce lag in games but......

It's quite ridiculous that they just HAD to cover Andariel's panties, because PC or whatever...

Back