Diablo II: Resurrected will let you load the original game's save files

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Something to look forward to: When Blizzard formally announced its long-rumored remaster of Diablo II last month, the company promised it would be loyal to the original. That’s because, at its roots, it is Diablo II, so it should come as little surprise that content that was compatible with the original like saved game data will also work with the remaster.

In a recent interview with IGN Middle East, Diablo II producer Matthew Cederquist said that when they were working on the remaster, they wondered if old save files would work. “We kind of shoved it in and it worked,” Cederquist said, noting that the team thought, “okay, that’s the best feature ever.”

What this means is that players of the original Diablo II will be able to pick right back up where they left off, possibly many years earlier, assuming of course they still have their old saved game files intact.

I personally haven’t played Diablo II since 2004 yet remarkably, my saved game files survived 16+ years of backups. Curiosity alone about my old Amazon character may be reason enough for me to check out the remake.

Diablo II: Resurrected is scheduled to arrive sometime later this year with support for 4K graphics, 7.1 surround sound and a wealth of other quality-of-life improvements. Interested parties can pre-order it now for $39.99 or sign up to participate in a technical alpha test.

Permalink to story.

To be fair, it's not *that* complicated. It's just a bunch of character/equipment data.
It's a nice gesture, though. Not even Baldur's Gates's remaster bothered to try to do this; old character files could be imported, but not old saves. I haven't heard of any other remasters doing the same.

Not enough to redeem Blizzard for all their other horrid practices, but still a nice gesture.

Given their record this is another disaster in the making. Of course, the "good" news come first: you can keep your old saves, but then I see coming: patch 1.0, your old gear is nerfed and you can`t play offline and "we have made some constructive changes that give a new dynamic to the game completely altering everything that ever was, but very loyal to the original idea..."

I don't see the point of D2 remaster, since it still plays well even on latest Windows 10, and that too with 64-bit OS. And runs just fine under WINE in Linux.

It's still nice to play with the original graphics. I'm not a sucker for remakes and "HD" remake/remaster graphics. For me, I can still play CGA and EGA games in their original glory.

Saying all that, I wish they "remastered" Diablo 1 instead. Now this game really needs some love and updating. There's no highlighting of dropped items. No running. And no hold-mouse-to-continue-hitting option. And many other badly needed enhancements. The problem is Diablo 2 itself took away the fun from Diablo 1 because of D2's comprehensive additions and enhancements over D1.

I don't see the point of D2 remaster, since it still plays well even on latest Windows 10, and that too with 64-bit OS. And runs just fine under WINE in Linux.

It's still nice to play with the original graphics. I'm not a sucker for remakes and "HD" remake/remaster graphics. For me, I can still play CGA and EGA games in their original glory.

Saying all that, I wish they "remastered" Diablo 1 instead. Now this game really needs some love and updating. There's no highlighting of dropped items. No running. And no hold-mouse-to-continue-hitting option. And many other badly needed enhancements. The problem is Diablo 2 itself took away the fun from Diablo 1 because of D2's comprehensive additions and enhancements over D1.

Not going to lie Diablo 1 is pretty rough. While a fun game, the move from turn based to real time shows in design. The lack of refinement and simplistic story dont do the game much justice. It really was all about the gameplay for D1. Diablo 2 in itself is a very refined game and plays well to this day.

A Diablo reimagining would have been a more worth while game IMO. Not a Remake or Remaster.

I'm just hoping that Blizzard will rethink 4 man teams in D4 and bump them up to 6 or even 8 players like with D2.. I never really understood why the number of players per game was reduced to 4 in D3.

How to get d2 on windows 10 problem. d2 has enormous problems running on win 10 but I got it running. missing bink32 and so on. that problem must be fixed.

Back