Diablo III server debacle demonstrates the problem with ‘always-online’ games

Julio Franco

Staff member

We were all excited last night. After a 12-year wait, Diablo III, Blizzard's much-anticipated action-fantasy loot-fest, had finally arrived. It was sitting there installed on our hard drives, waiting for midnight to come, for Blizzard to unlock the game so we could play it.

The midnight hour arrived, and Blizzard's servers were overwhelmed. Too many people were trying to play at once, and most of us wound up locked out.

Diablo III requires a constant internet connection to play. Not just to start a game or activate a new copy, but to play. Always. An hour and a half after I had started trying to log in from the title screen, I gave up. I couldn't play Diablo III, even the single-player portions of the game, because Blizzard's servers weren't working.

This is a problem.

It wasn't the end of the world. Not even close. I'm not going to climb up here and holler about what a travesty this is, or how angry I am, or anything like that. It's not, and I'm not. The servers are mostly stable as of this morning. When I woke up, I made a groovy monk character and had a lot of fun blasting a ton of shambling corpses into bloody bits. All the same, last night's logjam neatly demonstrates the single greatest problem with any single-player game that requires an internet connection to play.

There will likely always be server problems with the launch of any popular, ambitious online game. Something like this happened recently with Star Wars: The Old Republic, for example—players had to wait a good chunk of time to get onto the server of their choice and start playing.

The thing is, The Old Republic is expressly intended as a massively multiplayer online game. That's the point—the game exists only as a multiplayer experience. But I don't really play Diablo games with other people. I like to click and plunder, to level up my guy and get lots of great loot. I can tell I'm going to have a complicated critical relationship with Diablo III, but I value the refreshing simplicity of its feedback loop.

I don't really play Diablo games with other people.

But the game I play doesn't need to be online. With Diablo III, Blizzard has melded the classic Diablo formula into something of an MMO/Single-player hybrid. That's an experiment that I'm very interested to watch unfold, even while I'm not sure that I personally want to be a participant.

I remember last year when another hotly anticipated PC game came out, Valve's Portal 2. The build-up felt very similar to last night—we'd all pre-loaded the game on Valve's distribution client Steam, and anxiously awaited the midnight unlock. And when midnight came, there were some issues—the game took a while to decrypt, and twitter-grumpiness ensued.

Twitter-complaining about Portal 2 was met with plenty of sarcasm and good-natured derision. "Oh, you have to wait an extra ten minutes to play your video game? Poor you! Let's keep things in perspective! These things happen."

Those chiders had a point. In under 30 minutes, we who had been complaining were all happily messing around in Portal 2.

I saw some of those same chiders online last night, but their tut-tutting felt more misguided. This was a different scenario, and so people were reacting differently. Portal 2 simply required an internet connection to unlock the pre-loaded game, but due to Blizzard's always-on internet requirement, there was (and will forever be) no way for us to play Diablo III without their servers up and functional.

Right then, during the launch hour, Blizzard's servers couldn't handle the truth. I tried for an hour and a half to get in and play the game to no avail. "Error 37" after "Error 37" after "The operation has timed out" after "Error 37."

diablo iii blizzard diablo diablo 3 kotaku

If it had been a simple matter of activating my game, I would have been fine—time and again I logged in for long enough to shake hands with the server before getting kicked because, presumably, the server couldn't handle the increased load that came from letting me actually play the game.

I'm sure there are lots of reasons that Blizzard has decided to require a constant internet connection, and fighting piracy is only one of them. Certainly the in-game trading economy, which will be hugely engaging for a subset of players and hugely profitable for Blizzard and their parent company Activision, also factors. Doubtless there's also a desire to cajole single-player guys like me to dip into multiplayer, a game-mode that will engage and retain players for much longer than single-player.

But I don't want to get sidetracked making guesses about the ins and outs of Blizzard's online strategy. The important thing to note is that last night, a game was rendered unplayable for a large amount of time entirely because of server failure on Blizzard's part. Maybe it'll never happen again. But maybe it will.

We always knew that by demanding a constant internet connection, Blizzard was taking away a portion of the consumer's ownership of their game. Last night, as the starting gun fired, we got a reminder of what that really means. It means that we play at their pleasure, and that we no longer have the power to decide when our game starts and when it doesn't.

Republished with permission. Kirk Hamilton is a contributing editor at Kotaku.

Permalink to story.

The companies (especially activision and ubisoft) will learn eventually it hurts them more than it helps them to have always online requirements.

The companies (especially activision and ubisoft) will learn eventually it hurts them more than it helps them to have always online requirements.

I wouldn't be so confident in this. People have been saying that about the MPAA and the RIAA for years...They still haven't taken the hint.

Well said. Another problem we'll face is when they no longer support the servers for Diablo 3 to be played. I'm sure that'll be quite a ways down the line but will be unfortunate since we will no longer be able to revisit this game. I still have three G3 iMacs that my kids and I use to play Diablo 2. May once interest wanes in a few years they'll patch it for offline/LAN play and we can load it up to reminisce.

Yup, this is the biggest joke of a release in a while. There always should be an offline mode, always. How long has Blizzard been doing this now?

I wouldn't worry about continued support for hosting the servers. You can still play Diablo 1 on battle.net to this day, I connected 2 weeks ago out of curiosity. It's been available for 16 years and counting.

^ Moreover, by the time they discontinue any servers Pirate Bay will already be saturated with DRM-disabled versions of the game -- and that's the issue here. Those of us who paid $60 for the game are dealing with this always-on nonsense ultimately for no reason at all. I'll bet on a functional single-player version hitting the pirate waters in less than three weeks.

I wouldn't be so confident in this. People have been saying that about the MPAA and the RIAA for years...They still haven't taken the hint.

But the game makers are <I>already</I> getting a clue. Some of them are doing away with online authentication and DRM. The smarter developers are figuring out that only paying customers are impacted by meaningless protection schemes, and all the bugs and hindrances they bring. Meanwhile the pirates happily play without any of those inconveniences. God bless the pirates, I say, because their clearly NOT hurting anyone's bottom line significantly and their exposing DRM for the consumer-hostile joke that it is.

Spot on. And it's not just last night. It's been like this all day and now their servers are down again. I've requested to get a refund, because I purchased it to play as a single player and I am no longer willing to put up with this BS from Blizzard or anybody else.

"[FONT=Helvetica]But the game I play doesn't need to be online."[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica]"[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica]It means that we play at their pleasure, and that we no longer have the power to decide when our game starts and when it doesn't.[/FONT]"

Couldn't have said it better myself. I understand what they are trying to do, but I think Blizzard thought itself mighty enough to take on such a challenge in order to stop any kind of tampering with the Diablo III world. What this has showed is that there are some severe repercussions to not letting customers opt-out of these 'experiments' on their own terms.

Although as soon as everything is running smoothly, everyone will forget about it, just like WoW's nightmare release queues have been all but erased and went on to be the most successful MMO in game history.

Yeah I was quite surprised they offered no form of offline play, looks like you will have to pirate offline mode.

just spam the login with a automated macro like everyone else was doing thats why no one could get in

They have already emulated World of Warcraft servers, so it will be done for Diablo 3 as well. But since Diablo is suppose to be a singleplayer game with option of co-op, I'm sure they'll be an offline only crack. As for preventing cheating, they built a real money action house right into the game - so cheating is part of the game.

They won't do anything because they have enough brainwashed *****s to make up for the loss of anyone with their brains intact.

I can't understand what brain can think about a internet conection as a way to stop piracy, you just have to google crack "X" game and in 5 minutes, or less, you can play without any internet conection, but no, why don't we just punish the people than buy our games?, you know, the requeriment of an internet conection is a way to stop piracy........

It's an extremely popular game. They'll get it sorted out. I have the game and am going through the same issues but, I'm not gonna be childish about it. They'll have everything sorted out soon(sometime this week soon).

And people wonder why the PC platform is in the poop house.

Piracy is a result of sinful society. People steal because they think it is "ok".

Laws will not change that unfortunately.

I can't understand what brain can think about a internet conection as a way to stop piracy, you just have to google crack "X" game and in 5 minutes, or less, you can play without any internet conection
It's not a matter of 'google crack X game' for D3. It'll be months before (bug-ridden & laggy) D3 emulation servers start popping up...

@Guest on May 16, 2012 1:50 AM:
That's not true at all. This isn't WoW or SC2 we're talking about. This is Diablo 3, a game that most people are very happy to through the game alone. So this means they won't need to set up actual cracked servers. Store the content locally then connect locally (127.0.0.1) to retrieve the content - since that's the way the game works. They already did it both ways with the beta, your assumed server way and the local way, so obviously it won't be hard for them to make it for the full game. I guess they first have to play through the entire game however and copy all the content...

And people wonder why the PC platform is in the poop house.

Piracy is a result of sinful society. People steal because they think it is "ok".

Laws will not change that unfortunately.

Sinful society?

I see, you're one of those. Is it difficult to walk and breath?

Wrong, wrong, wrong and once more 100% wrong. That wasn't the issue that prevented others from loging in.

Wait for a proper offline server emulator to be released.

As usual pirates will have a better gaming experience than those who bought the original.

Kirk, your article demonstrates the problem with people who cry about issues with 'always online games'. Remove your inner gaming child who wants to cry because his new game didn't work perfectly and view this with a business perspective.

It's thier product and they can choose how they want to distrubute it and control it.
They (Blizzard) should have planned better but other then that I don't have any problem with anything they have decided to do with Diablo III.

Back