Difference between HDTV and HD Ready TV??

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodgreen

This isn't a computer question. What is the meant by the term" HD ready"
when it applies to television?

HDTV means that the TV has a HD tuner built into it. meaning you just need to hook up and antenna (a very good one) and you can start getting HD channels. All new TV's will have this feature. Older models might not, and those people have a HD Ready, but they have to buy a HD tuner seperately to get the channels.

If you are going to be using cable or satellite to get HDTV, then you don't have too much to worry about. The HDTV is for people wanting to get their HD signals free over the air.
I've not had good success with this, and the best antenna you can get would be an attic or roof antenna.

Best of luck, if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

I'm afraid you have it backwards poertner.

Hd ready = can display hd but lacks a tuner for hd.

An HDTV-ready TV (also called an "HDTV monitor") has the high-scan-rate display, but must be connected to a separate HDTV tuner to receive digital broadcasts. Most HDTV-ready TVs include an NTSC tuner for viewing regular analog programs. HDTV-ready TVs can have either the conventional 4:3 aspect ratio or the widescreen 16:9 ratio.

Hdtv = can display hd and has a hd tuner.

* An integrated HDTV combines a high-scan-rate display and an HDTV tuner in one package. The tuner can usually receive both digital and analog over-the-air broadcasts. The FCC (Federal Communications Commission) mandated that as of July 1, 2004, at least 50% of TVs with screens 36" and larger must include an over-the-air digital tuner, and by 2007, all TVs 13" and larger must include a digital tuner. You'll find that nearly all HDTV sets use the widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio.

Quotes from:
http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/learningcenter/home/tv_hdtv.html

Thanks for correcting me. I will update my post so people reading in sequence don't get confused.
I thought for sure it was the other way around, hehe :blush:

Thank You for reply

Thank You Poertner 1274- for the first reply..
Thank You-vnf4ultra- :) for the second reply-with the informative details and the "Crutchfield Advisor".. Very interesting & informative. You were a big help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back