Digital assistants and smart speakers face many of the same issues as the early Internet

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In context: The challenges facing digital assistants and smart speakers aren’t necessarily new. The early Internet faced many similar concerns as it related to privacy. Remember when it was almost taboo to use a credit card to buy something online? Or how nobody used their real name? Now thanks to e-commerce giants like Amazon and social media, most people don’t think twice about buying goods online and anonymity is largely a thing of the past.

While it may feel like they’re already an integral part of daily life, it’s still early days for smart speakers and digital assistants. And like the early days of other influential technology, lack of trust is significantly hindering the adoption and use of voice-powered assistants.

Microsoft in a recent report found that 41 percent of voice users are concerned about their devices actively listening to or recording them. Given recent reports of Amazon workers listening to Alexa conversations, it’s a valid and justified concern.

More than half of respondents (52 percent) said they were worried that their personal information or data is not secure while 31 percent were concerned that information gathered by digital assistants was not private. Only 14 percent of those surveyed said they didn’t trust the companies behind voice assistants.

Like before, it’ll be up to tech builders to create a secure landscape in which consumers can feel comfortable with what is said to and around voice-capturing devices.

Lead image courtesy Juan Ci via Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

"Microsoft in a recent report found that" their newest operating system is a major concern? Oops, I guess not?

"Like before, it’ll be up to tech builders to create a secure landscape in which consumers can feel comfortable with what is said to and around voice-capturing devices."

This will never happen unless it is smoke and mirrors, which facebook is showing us now. They also don't care, which will likely continue on into the future for all companies using them as an example. Anything transmitted over the internet can be captured, recorded, and backed up forever. Hackers and insiders with malicious intent could retrieve this data, just as they do today.

Hackers and insiders with malicious intent could retrieve this data, just as they do today.
Aside from the eavesdropping aspect, security is yet another area that manufacturers of devices like this, I.e, IoT, etc., have, IMO, inadequately addressed.

As I see it, device makers are trying to cash in on the latest fad and dreaming of making billions of dollars and, as you state, could care less how they grab that profit.

Even if I found a legitimate use for a device like this, security and eavesdropping would be major concerns of mine. Why anyone knowledgeable would put a device lacking adequate security on their trusted network is beyond me.

Well, I envision "Alexa", as every "dash button" that Amazon could either think of, or thought they could get away with, all rolled up into an eavesdropping abomination trying to pass itself off as a friend of yours...:poop::eek: :rolleyes:

Back