Dim 2300 New Case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't laugh or anything, but I was wondering if I could move my Dell Dimension 2300 components into a new case, such as an Antec 900-series, etc. Is this possible, and if so, what would be necessary? Thanks.

Sure, why not? As long as the case you choose meets the motherboard mounting pattern compatibility. Most ATX cases accept both "ATX" and "MATX" (micro ATX) motherboards. Your Dell is more than likely "MATX". What are you hoping to accomplish by doing this?

Thanks for the quick reply. Well, first of all, so my mobo is mATX? Because, I've read different posts other places, and the term "BTX" has popped up, which confused me.

My main reason for the case switch is first of all, looks. lol
Second of all, I want a little more room for mods.
Third of all, and most importantly, I was looking for more airflow, more fans, etc.

I'll be honest, I don't see it as being woth it. The 2300 only supports PCI, and up to a 2.8 Pentium 4 CPU, so why?

What mods are you looking for?

You will get more airflow, etc. but I see no point unless you are planning on using the case for a build later.

What do you use your computer for?

EDIT, yes its mATX, I have a 2400 myself!

kr2300 said:
Thanks for the quick reply. Well, first of all, so my mobo is mATX? Because, I've read different posts other places, and the term "BTX" has popped up, which confused me.

"BTX" is rather rare. Newegg only shows 3 cases compatible with them, compared with 600+ for ATX and MATX. Basically it's the "next big thing" that doesn't quite seem like it's going to happen. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BTX_motherboards (If you're interested).

I suppose vanity is as good a reason as any to want to change your case. Otherwise they wouldn't sell so many different looking ones. Remember, if you decide to build yourself a new computer, (and it always seems to come to that), you'd have to, buy a new case, put the Dell back in it's own case, or throw the Dell away. A working box is always a good internet cruiser or a word processor.

So the way I understand it is: I can buy a case that is mATX-compatible, and my motherboard, which is BTX, will fit into it no problem? Sorry for the confusion, but I just want to confirm.

Yeah, and like you said, if I ever want to build a new computer (which I want to do very soon!), then I can just throw the Dell components back in the original case, and use the new case for the new computer.

Thanks for your detailed replies.

That's not quite want I meant.......

I was giving you historical information on BTX form factor. It seems unlikely that it is BTX. Mopar seems to think that your Dell is MATX! I've been Googling it and can't come up with a definite answer.

For now, it CAN'T be ATX, the case is too small.

BTX is quite rare. Every BTX board I've seen has the CPU cooling fan running inside a box, which is the design strategy for cooling the board components.

So, MATX is most likely, or possibly a Dell specific form factor.

If you board were to be BTX (which I doubt) it would require a BTX specific case.

You could, VERY CAREFULLY, measure your motherboard. MATX is a maximum of 9.6 X 9.6 inches, many are smaller.

Please take the time to review anti-static precautions before you attempt anything inside a computer case

The CASE is 14 1/2" tall, 7" wide.

I just (asking, not googling X_D) found something:

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/47804/

Looks like someone else wanted to do this too!

Apparently, Dell Mobos can have wierd formats as Captaincranky said. Yes, BTX is very small, and this isn't BTX.

From what they are saying on there, it will work, with some troubles, such as the front panel wiring. You can do it, but you have to know how to do it, so take a look and make a diagram BEFORE you pull it out. Also, according to someone on there, the MOBO is mATX supported, perfectly so yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back