Directx 9.0 issue with 3D

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased a Media Center PC some time ago with the following:
Intel Pentium 4 2.53GHz
Nvidia GeForce4 MX420 (64MB)
512MB DDR SDRAM
DirectX 8.1

Everything ran well until after I installed DirectX 9.0. Then, the Media Center app (and basically anything that uses 3D graphics) started flashing green and white with lines or random sharp angular pieces. Recently, I checked DX Diagnostics, which said that I was running a debug version of directx.cpl. I tried to install DX 9.0c again, but it didn't solve the issue.
Today I decided to try to fix my old computer again, so I used DirectX Happy Uninstall to revert to the original DX which came with the PC (8.1), and the problem seemed to be solved. DX 8.1, however, didn't have Direct3D available in DX Diagnostics. So I followed DirectX Happy Uninstall's directions to update DirectX to the latest version (with the DirectX 9.0c Redistributable installer). After I did this and I checked DX Diagnostics, directx.cpl was no longer the debug version and it stated there were no problems. Then, I performed the Direct3D test a few times, and it failed for Direct3D 8 and 9 Interfaces, and occasionally even for Direct3D 7 interface test.
Does anyone have any idea what can cause this issue with Direct3D and/or how it can be fixed?

If I were you, I would save myself the hassle of debugging all those directX files and upgrade to a better, more powerful graphics adapter. You'd be much better off anyways. DX9 is probably no optimized for that particular graphics processor, it's quite outdated. Even a low-end DX9 video card would be better with that setup. Let me know if you want to upgrade. I could probably assist you in finding a decent card that fits your budget.

What graphic interface slot do you have?
PCI, AGP,?

AGP

I was hesitant to get a different video card because HP stated that the Media Center feature wouldn't work unless i replace it with the same card. I like the TV tuner feature (separate card) and although the computer is somewhat old, it's been cared for and still runs quite well. I figured I'd rather not spend a lot replacing too many parts then have things not work

In case anyone was wondering, it is an HP Media Center 873n

UPDATE on the issue: I (again) reverted to DX 8.1, and although the glitchy lines don't appear there and everything seems normal, Media Center gives me the error message
"Your video card or drivers are not compatible with Media Center"
and when I try to open up the TV feature, it says
"Video cannot be viewed in Media Center from a Remote Desktop connection."
I am not using a remote desktop connection, and as for the first message, I'm guessing the older Media Center might not be compatible with newer drivers for my video card. =(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back