Directx 9.0c compatible graphics adapter issues

hungry4more6789

Every time I try to play The Sims 2 a message pops up saying: Failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system! Please make sure you have DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. I know this game works in my computer because it worked fine a while ago. But my computer got a virus, and everything was ereased. The message started popping up after I tried to reinstall it. What should I do????? I have a dell DM051. Its operating system is microsoft windows xp professional (5.1, Build 2600). It has 1022MB RAM. Does anyone know how to make the game work again?

Install the latest version of DirectX (available @ Microsoft.com) and make sure your video drivers are up to date.

Thanks for the quick replies. When I tried to install the thing from that link a message popped up saying: 'Direct X setup has determined that a newer of equivalent version of DirectX has been installed already. No installation nessecary.'
I tried the game again and it still doesn't work. What is wrong?!

This has been going on for months. I have tried to download different drivers, but none of them work. Any new ideas?????

I tried all four options. NONE OF THEM WORK!!!!!!!!!!

I am so clueless!!!!! I need help!

The Sims 2 compatible graphics adapter problems

Since I didn't get anymore answers on my other thread I have made a new one.

Here is my problem:

Every time I try to play The Sims 2 a message pops up saying "Failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system! Please make sure you have DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer."

I know this game works in my computer because it worked fine a while ago. But my computer got a virus, and everything was ereased. The message started popping up after I tried to reinstall it. What should I do?????

I have a dell DM051.
Its operating system is microsoft windows xp professional (5.1, Build 2600).
It has 1022MB RAM.

Does anyone know how to make the game work again?

I have tried to down load all of the DirectX 9.0c things from the Microsoft website too.

My hardware acceleration is full too.

What do I do?!

Try completely uninstalling, then reinstalling your graphics drivers from Dell's website.

Alright then, let's confirm a few things before uninstalling your graphics drivers.
1.) Start
2.) Run
3.) type in and enter "dxdiag"
4.) If a dialogue box pops up asking you something, then hit either option. That isn't particularly important.
5.) The DirectX diagnostic window should appear. In the text that follows the line "Operating System" does it say that your Windows is 64-bit or 32-bit?
6.) At the bottom, what does it say your DirectX version is?
7.) At the very top of the window, click on the tab titled "Display".
8.) On the first line labeled "name", what does it say?

Now let's download the appropriate video drivers.
1.) Go to Dell.com
2.) On the very top right, click "Technical Support".
3.) Under "Support for Home Users" click the green "Start Here" button.
4.) Click "Drivers & Downloads"
5.) Enter your service tag number.
6.) A page should show up listing all of the drivers and software originally on your machine and the subsequent updates. At the top of the page make certain that Windows XP with the appropriate bit (32 or 64) is selected.
7.) Down on the page there should be categories for different kinds of drivers, such as audio, DVD, video, etc. Expand the video/ display adapter section.
8.) What are the available files in that category named? If you want to, go ahead download and save the files to your Desktop.

Thank you so much for replying again. Here is what happened:

The operating system said 'Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1,Build 2600)' there was no 32-bit or 64-bit.

The DirectX Version said 'DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)'

Under display and name it was blank. The other things under name said n/a.

On the Dell website there was no bit thing listed, just BIOS, Not Applicable, Windows Vista 32-bit, or Windows XP. I chose Windows XP.

Under the video thing the file titles were ATI and Intel.

There was no video/display adapter section.

Ah, excellent. The issue may very well be your graphics drivers after all.

On Dell's website, go ahead and specify XP, since that is apparently your Operating System (OS). As you also discovered, go ahead and download all of the files under the "video" section. I called it the video/ display adapter section because I couldn't remember what exactly Dell labeled that section. lol

When downloading the files take note of the date that Dell states each file was released on. What I then like to do is name the earliest file "1", the second earliest file "2" and so forth. This is just an easy way to keep track of which drivers are the oldest and which are the newest.

If I knew precisely the name of each file that you can download under the video section, then I could tell you which to install and which ones you could probably skip. However, a fail-safe way would be to just install the first file (that you named "1"). Let it complete, then restart your computer. Install the second file (that you named "2"). Let it complete, then restart you computer and so on and so forth until all of the driver files have been installed.

After all of this is done, go ahead and run "dxdiag" again and check under the "Display" tab to see if it recognizes your integrated graphics chip now. ;)

Thanks! I will try it now. :D

Ok so I installed the ATI. I didnt name it '1' because i didn't know where to put that in. :( But the Intel came up with a message saying 'The file C:\Dell\Drivers\R126542\autorun.inf already exists. Do you want to overwrite it.' I clicked 'Yes to all' and it continued downloading. Then another message comes up saying 'One or more files that are required for installation are either missing or corrupt. Setup will exit.'

What to do?! :(

hm ... That is odd. Go into C:\Dell\Drivers and delete all of the folders in there. All of them should be named similarly to the seemingly random R126542 and they are simply setup files and are not currently being used by your machine as the drivers.

When downloading the driver files from Dell's website, I find it is easiest to save them to your Desktop. If you can initially save the file as whatever name you please, then great. If not, then just go to your Desktop and rename each file to the appropriate number as you download it.

The order in which you install the drivers is important because some of them may be updates that require you to have already installed the earlier ones. ;)

EDIT: ... Your silence worries me. lol

Haha funny joke. :haha:

Any way. There are alot of things in the folders (there are three of them: R119714, R126205, and R126542). I don't know if I should delete them.

lol Well, if it makes you feel better, then just cut and paste them to your desktop or some other place for now.

Cut and paste them and then delete them.

Ok. So I copied and pasted them to my desktop. Will they still be accesible if I delete them from the C:\Dell\Drivers?

Since you've copied and pasted them to your Desktop, then you now have two copies of each file. So yeah, it's super-duper safe to delete every thing in C:\Dell\Drivers. Those files really are just setup files and are all available for download on Dell's website at any time.

This time when you download the video drivers from Dell's website, don't forget to name them in numerical order according to the chronological order in which Dell added them to the website. :p

Ok. The deleting I get. I don't know when to name it though. :p

AAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! I deleted all the files in the C:\Dell\Drivers thing. I even realized where I could rename it. It still says I hve something in there already! :( :( :(

Ok. While I'm here I have another problem. Every time I turn on my computer, and after Dell loads, A message pops up saying 'Floopy diskette seek failure. Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility.' This started after my computer got the virus and was fixed. If you don't know what to do off the top of your head then don't worry about it. I can still use the computer. I really want The Sims 2 to work more.

If I'm supposed to post another thread, then sorry. I will do that later.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just tried the game again for fun and.......... IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you so much! I don't know what you did but the game loaded and worked just fine!!!!! THANKS SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!! :D :D :D

That also fixed all the other games that weren't working! This is the best!!!!! Thanks soooooo much PYGMUS!!!!!

I'm having the same problem but with vista. And I went to Dell online and downloaded all the video drivers in the tab.
So now I'm just stuck. And I spent all day installing this game and expansions so can somebody pretty please help me >.<

Back