Disabled my integrated graphics and can't see

Status
Not open for further replies.
CAN'T SEE!!!

I'm new to the forum but found a lot of good articles on here... Thought u guys can maybe help...

I just purchased a ATI Radeon 9200 video card for my desktop... I put it in the pci slot and it wouldn't recognize it. In the instructions, it said i may need to disable my integrated graphics... Which I knew what that would do but I figured since I was using slot 1 on my pci's, that it would recognize it. From what I read the computer looks there first if there internal graphics is disabled. Recently read up that it doesn't work like that.... Anyway, I now have the orginal vga disabled because of intergrated grahics is disabled, and now I can't see anything from my card because the computer isn't recognizing it.... So I can't see to configure anything... What do I need to do to get the integrated graphics back going.

Here are the numbers I can find on the motherboard:
e210882
ds/n cn-otc666-70821-56b-a1g5: c/o cn

If there are any other number anyone needs to help, let me know... Thanks sooo much in advance!!

How'd you disable the integrated graphics?

What should have been done:
Monitor connected to integrated -> get into BIOS, disable integrated. Shut Down.
Monitor connected to PCI -> boot up. Video works.

On my budget HP/Compaq I had to get into the BIOS and change the primary graphics to the desired output, e.g. integrated, or PCI-E, or PCI-E x 16, etc (default setting on my PC was integrated graphics); then click on Save Changes, exit BIOS and continue boot (or restart). If everything else is working right it then puts out the video signal from the indicated graphics source. But your PC could work a lot differently, I reckon.

Frank

I went into my device manager and disabled it... And I looked for the bios on my motherboard and I can only find the password reset

To get to your bios:

Restart your pc.

As soon as the pc comes back on tap either the delete key, Or the f2 key on your keyboard a few times. This will hopefully take you to your bios screen.

Dont adjust any settings apart from the one you need to :)

I tried that... I have taken the battery out to reset the CMOS and BIOS... i left it out thirty minutes the first time, no luck... three hours or so the second... didn't work... so i'm gonna leave it out all night.... maybe that will do it... my motherboard does not have pins on it to reset the cmos... it has the key that tell u that 2-3 clears it... and where the pins and the jumper is suppose to be, there are only solder spots... so i tried crossing those... i held it on there with the computer off, didn't work... i crossed it and then turned the computer on and run it for a minutes... still nothing at all... I really have no clue what to do here guys... surely this has to be somewhat common...

Disabling the device through Windows has absolutely no control over whether you get anything on screen before Windows loads.

So if you aren't seeing anything on screen at all, you have a hardware issue or are simply not doing what I said in my first post.

Just take out the PCI. Connect only to the integrated. Change the stuff in the BIOS. Shut down, connect the PCI, Disconnect from integrated, connect to PCI, boot up. Just like I said to do earlier.

Well I tried taking out the card and seeing what it would do...It does nothing... I wasn't getting a screen... I finally got pissed, swallowed my pride and took it to the computer shop... got tired of fooling with it and being without it... It may be a hardware issure, but i highly doubt i had a hardware failure right after disabling the integrated graphics and its hard to believe its not the fact that the integrated graphics are disabled as the reason i don't have any display

But like I said, disabling a device inside of Windows has no affect on the hardware outside of the OS.

It may be a strange concidence, it may be something else, but losing communication with your monitor outside of Windows is not directly a result of you making a software modification inside Windows, they are unrelated.

This is odd; I registered in order to post a topic about the exact same issue with the exact same card (ATI Radeon 9200).

Here's my story so far, copy/pasted from another forum:

I have an old pc and a older-but-better-than-integrated-graphics graphics card (ATI Radeon 9200). The integrated graphics is ATI Radeon Xpress 200. I finally got the card to fit in the mobo (was a very tight fit) and have kept the monitor plugged into the integrated graphics. I have restarted the pc.

So; pc isn't detecting the 9200. Catalyst is refusing to install because of an 'INF error'. BIOS is extremely simple and I can't figure out how to make it boot detect AGP.

What do I do?

I then found a version of Catalyst that worked, so...

Ok everyone. I did all the right steps; I uninstalled the onboard graphics drivers (ATI Radeon Xpress 200), and restarted. I am now running on the Windows VGA drivers at god knows how low res. I removed all trace of ATI from my system, restarted again.

I checked my BIOS, and discovered I could set it to either Auto or PCI for graphics mode. I left it on Auto.

I shut down and installed the Radeon 9200 into the mobo. I'm pretty sure it's an AGP slot (brown, two sections, little snap-in holder at the end). It installs successfully. I plug everything back in, and plug the monitor into the graphics card.

I press power, and the PC starts up but the monitor doesn't come on. The monitor's power button just flashes. I unplug the monitor from the 9200 and back into the onboard graphics and it turns on.

Any ideas? Any at all?

Disclaimer: this card works. It has been installed in another PC for years and has worked without a hitch. The monitor works too.

The voltage rating of your AGP card and your Motherboard AGP slot are the same?
The multiplier rating of your AGP card and your Motherboard AGP slot are the same?

That's where I'd look at first

Also the card removal and get the onboard working first was correct :grinthumb

If the voltage rating and multiplier rating are different, is that an irreconcilable compatibility issue? Are they simply incompatible? I don't think I still have the manuals for either my mobo or graphics card as they're both very old and I only recently decided to use the PC again.

Correct -> irreconcilable compatibility issue

As for the manuals, pretty sure you can Google them, they're freely available all over the place usually. But ideally go to your manufacture support page.

The manual for the Radeon 9200 says that flat panel monitors have to be plugged in using the DVI plug. I'm using a flat panel that has a VGA cable. Could this be an issue? I might find an old monitor and give it a go. Will report back.

You're right, it wasn't the fault. I have no idea then. I must assume the card and mobo are simply incompatible. Shame. Thanks for the advice though, kimsland.

You could shut down, remove the card, use integrated. Then go to the BIOS and see if AGP is an option now (as opposed to PCI or Auto). Obviously if you see AGP then try that, shut down, reinstall the card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back