Dish to close remaining 300 Blockbuster retail stores, shutter DVD-by-mail service

Shawn Knight

Staff member

blockbuster

It’s the end of an era for home entertainment as former movie rental giant Blockbuster will soon close the remaining 300 or so operational stores in the US and shut down its DVD-by-mail service. Dish Network, who purchased Blockbuster for $228 million in cash back in 2011, said it wasn’t an easy decision but consumer demand is clearly moving toward digital distribution of video entertainment.

Blockbuster was founded in 1985 and quickly put many smaller mom & pop video rental shops out of business. At its peak, the company maintained nearly 10,000 retail stores. Viacom acquired the brand in 1994 and spun it off a decade later but the slow transition from physical media to digital distribution as well as the meteoric rise of Redbox was too much for the chain to overcome, eventually leading to bankruptcy.

Dish said they will be closing the mail service by mid-December with the retail operation to follow in January 2014. We are told that franchised and licensed stores will remain open.

That doesn’t mean the Blockbuster brand is dead, however. Dish president and CEO Joseph P. Clayton said that despite the closing of the physical distribution elements of the business, they continue to see the value in the brand and expect to leverage it as they continue to expand their digital offerings. True enough, the company’s movie channel package – Blockbuster On Demand – will remain operational moving forward.

Permalink to story.

At one point it did not sucked. I used to rent DVD movies back in the day for 3.99. I even took some dates there to pick up movies, I think times are different now. There problem was that, they were so short sited and did not go digital. With enough brand recognition they would have been right up there with netflix.

Yea, Blockbuster was cool. You could pick out movies, games and even consoles, and they had a ton of junk food you could pick up at the same time without the movie theater prices. But while everyone else offered cheaper rates and others went digital, Blockbuster got old and feared change and this happened.

Blackberry could definitely use some young blood if they plan to stay afloat. Let some smart college kids get in there or something.

RIP Blockbuster, and good luck BlackBerry.

And now, too, what movies were there this summer? 40 year old star trek and 30 year old lord of the rings.

The 80s are gone and so are VHS tapes where popular for these sorts of business for rental of movies through this chain. Hollywood Video was the best one but they lost and this company had taken them over and close out all the Hollywood Videos chains.

It's a new era and these type of stores need to go out to pasture. Today you got min-computerize dvd/blue-ray disc stands all over the place. I don't use them because the time to return what you rent is 9pm. I have to make a dash to get there in time just to have some guy trying to tell me he had to wait a long time too make his selection. So I must wait my turn.

I don't like to wait so I'll just order current movies online via Amazon Prime $0.99 to $3.99 and some HD are higher might be higher but I don't have to play head games with others at these stands. I don't have to leave the house or waste gas.

Walmart VUDU service has much higher rates for their HDX $5.99 could be $14.99 to watch a new Movie in 1080P 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround which are on cloud storage server which is attached to your account. VUDU more like what you have in the stores today but forget it since the prices are outrageous online. Some movies are $1.99 though.

Over the HDTV ANT I can get THiS TV shows movies 24/7 for free. Of course they're not current but their free!

Blockbuster in UK is over priced. The food and drink is always cheaper anywhere else and to get cheap rental prices you needed to rent 3 or 4 movies and watch a movie a night otherwise it was 4quid for 1 evening. Just the annoyance of having to take the film back on time to avoid charges was enough to not bother, let alone late charges on 4 films. The DVD by mail device was good, I used to rent a game using it and played mass effect 2, gow3 and assassins creed brotherhood over a number of months, £6 a month to have a single game in my possession. But I won't miss the retail stores. They never moved on and didn't compete.

Add em to the list of companies that failed to evolve. I'm not bothered personally, I always felt ripped off as a kid going to blockbuster. $4 movies with a $4/day late charge?! They milked us for years.

The modern day equivalent rip off is cable companies. I cancelled my directv over a year ago when I finally realized that $94/month was crAzY for how much I was watching. Hopefully something comes along to make them obsolete soon.

I thought they could have won the movie buy post, buy instead letting you pay £14.99 a month and letting u also go to a store and collect your films and games but only 2 or 3 at a time and you get no late fee same as the by post service.

Add em to the list of companies that failed to evolve. I'm not bothered personally, I always felt ripped off as a kid going to blockbuster. $4 movies with a $4/day late charge?! They milked us for years.

The modern day equivalent rip off is cable companies. I cancelled my directv over a year ago when I finally realized that $94/month was crAzY for how much I was watching. Hopefully something comes along to make them obsolete soon.

Absolutely. I do not have cable tv, and I actually live in an area that it is impossible to get OTA tv without a huge external antenna, and I did that once in my previous place with spotty results. So, I download an hd rip of what I want to watch, without commercials..

Something is going to have to change in the media industry, because I, like many others, would pay for good content. But it needs to be as good (or close to) as what many of us are getting 'illegally' for free right now.

Back