Disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter

Status
Not open for further replies.

swishmonkey723

My friends computer was running slow and his brother told me to wipe the hard drive. So i downloaded Dban, put it on a DVD , and attempted to wipe the hard drive. The first time i put it on the computer the computer shut down before it could finish. I eventually got Dban to completely finish and the computer restarted. The boot screen says:

Phoenix - Award BIOS v6.00PG
Copyright © 1984-2005, Phoenix Technologies, LTD

Copyright 2005 by Hewlett-Packard Company
Rev. 3.08
Main Processor: Intel® Celeron® CPU 2.93GHz (133x22.0)
Memory Testing : 253952K OK + 8192K Shared Memory

L2 Cache Size : 256K
System BIOS shadow status : Shadowed
System VIDEO BIOS shadow status : Shadowed
UMB upper limit segment address : F000H
PS/2 Mouse initialization status : Plugged
First Channel Device : HDS728080PLAT20 PF2OA28A
First Channel Device 1 : None
Second Channel Device 0 : TSST CDW?DVD TS-H492A HP03
Second Channel Device 1 : None

Floppy disk(s) fail (80)

When you hit F2 the screen turns black with a blinking white line. Then the "Disk Boot Failure Inster System Disk and Press Enter" message appears. I have the recovery disks from HP but when I load the computer with them it says they aren't compatable. So i have no idea how to fix it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BTW the computer ran on
(Compaq) Win-Xp Sp3 2002
Intel Celeron CPU 2.93 GHz
Persario SR15030Wm

Hi

some HP PC's look at the Hard drive for a specific signature in the boot record (this stops people pirating the software), by using a 3rd party app you have removed that and now the disks wont work that you have.

Your only option is to buy a complete version of Windows XP and install it from scratch, this will entail having all the drivers for the PC.

Well my friend ordered the recovery disks from HP like a week ago. I just think that he ordered the wrong ones because of the message that comes up saying that the disks aren't compatable. Im still hoping this is the case b/c we could just send them back and get working ones. If anyone else knows what to do, any info would rock

Silly question or not ? You HAVE set the DVD drive as the first bootable drive in the Bios ?

Ok, fine, then IdidMyC600 will probably prove right, you have destoyed what will be required to use any install CD that HP might be prepared to give you. Your best hope is contact HP, tell them exactly what you have done, and hope for the best.

I suspect you will get no joy, so perhaps you could use a 'proper' install CD, but use the windows sticker on the HP as the registration ID. If the registration kicks up, then you must explain to Microsoft, who will possibly be sympathetic - you have after all, paid for XP once.

would replacing my hard drive with a new one help me at all??? i feel pretty stupid fixing my friends computer and ending up messing it up more. I think he will resent me if i can't fix it somehow.

Hi

some HP PC's look at the Hard drive for a specific signature in the boot record (this stops people pirating the software), by using a 3rd party app you have removed that and now the disks wont work that you have.

Your only option is to buy a complete version of Windows XP and install it from scratch, this will entail having all the drivers for the PC.

Do you say this with authoritative knowledge? I don't ask this question to insult you, but I would think that any HD would take a set of factory-made restoration discs, regardless of what is coded on that HD. At some time, every HD is going to require replacing.

ok

so is there any hope for my friends PC or should i give up? I still think that there is a chance for recovery b/c when i put the first recovery CD in...after the boot screen a message comes up saying the CD isn't compatable with the model of the computer. So i think we just ordered the wrong one's or something. I really don't know. any more info would be great!

Whilst I am not certain, I think it more likely that the key information which the OEM install looks for is on the motherboard (in the bios or perhaps an ID chip) rather than on the hard drive. Although you may have cleared the drive completely to raw state, there was, so far as I can read in your post, nothing wrong with the drive itself. So no, a new drive would be no different.

Think like this - to pirate a copy of XP would be quite easy if it was something on the hard drive, but a ROM chip is much harder to forge. Another reason why install CD's from HP, Compaq and Dell will simply not work on another motherboard, and they won't, as I know from experience, is that the cd only contains appropriate drivers for that motherboard.

Do you say this with authoritative knowledge? I don't ask this question to insult you, but I would think that any HD would take a set of factory-made restoration discs, regardless of what is coded on that HD. At some time, every HD is going to require replacing.

It was something i was led to believe, as to what happens if the HDD fails, then you need to send it back to HP or a dealer to have it replaced...

I think it was because there was the possibility that the drive could be cloned and used in multiple PC's.

I dont say it with any authorative knowledge, only with knowledge gleaned, and he may be right that he ordered the wrong restore disk..

Time will tell

I agree, time will tell. SwishMonkey, I think it's time to communicate with HP about receiving the right discs. I think they are the only ones that can help right now. I would not say your friend's problem is final.

Hi
Looking at an early message it indicates floppy disk fail. That may mean you have no floppy drive but you have not set the bios to reflect that fact. Just check your bios settiings

there isn't a floppy drive in my friends computer but i think that doesn't really matter...ill fix it so that the BIOS loads CD, HD, and Network and leave floppy out. I checked online and the discs we ordered are the right ones. I think that i just need the original Windows XP that he recieved when he got the computer b/c ive tried almost everything to make the computer load the recovery discs but it simply won't. Every time i do it says "Disk Boot Failure Instet System Disk and Press Enter" I don't know what a system disc is but i think its the original version of XP that he recieved when he purchased the computer. Im gonna keep trying. I can't believe im doing this for free. Even though i don't know what im doing.

I guess ill take it to geek squad if no one knows what to do

A system disk is....something the PC can boot from, be it an XP full install disk, or the correct load disk from HP.

I have seen examples in the past of some CD or DVD units that just wont act as a bootable drive, you can try another drive, my best advice is to use just a plain CD unit.

Some need setting to Master, some slave some Cable select, and usually always need to be on the seconday channel.

You will get nowhere until you find out why the CD or DVD you are trying to boot from will not boot. Try a known bootable Cd or better yet, try another drive. You will not be the first to discover something has been disturbed, like the connections, the primary/slave pins, or even forgot to plug in the power connector !

You say 'load' but you need 'boot'. Just reading is not enough. Will the CD boot on another PC?

i haven't tried to boot the cd on another computer...the CD drive on the broken computer works its just that the CD that HP gave me does not work on the broken computer...does anyone know how to get the original copy of XP from microsoft (one that works with the product key given when the computer was originally purchased) or will i have to 2 buy a new copy of XP???

Can you just borrow a full install CD from a friend, and register XP using the sticker ID from your case ? Your main problem would be to download the necessary drivers for your exact motherboard and peripherals. However, since you say you have AN install CD for the appropriate model, they should be on that.

I was fully confused by your use of the word 'load' when I expect 'boot'. Now I am assuming the PC will boot on the CD, but refuses in some way (maybe you get an error) to actually run the install.exe or autorun.inf on the CD ?? Maybe it decides not to run install.exe and next tries to boot off the HDD, at which point you get the original error because the HDD is, of course, empty.

sorry for confusing u...im not very good with computers...you could be right about the computer not wanting to boot off of the CD for some random reason. If so, how could i force it to boot from the CD. Good idea about borrowing someone elses XP CD and using their product key ill try that.

i talked to HP and they told me to unhook the hardrive...turn on computer...turn off computer...rehook harddrive and put recovery disks into CD drive. I was like wow i really don't know how that will fix anything but ok. Of course it didn't do anything but make the "Disk boot failure..." error message go away. so i still need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back