Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys.

I need help in this odd problem i face. I have a amd dual core with 2 GB ram. With a 500 GB Western Digital Hard drive.

I just reformated my hard drive last night and than i am trying to install windows xp.

First time i booted my pc it gave me an error

Disk boot failure, Insert system disk and press enter

Than i keept restarting and keep giving me an error i left it for 30 minutes than i booted again and it worked i come to install windows xp everything goes well than it tells me it can not locate a hard drive....

I shut down my computer and leave it down for 2 hours put it back in everything goes well and when installing windows xp it stops at 24% i restart it i get again the error

Disk boot failure, Insert system disk and press enter

I try to restart it but gives me that error i gotta wait 30 minutes to boot my pc and remove that error and 2 hours to let it recgoinze my hard drive at the windows installtion but again it always freezes in the process of the installtion at 24%. The cd is brand new perfect conditions. The cables of the hard drive and cd rom are perfectly placed.

Any idea?

Hi

2 things remove the partition and recreate it reformat when you get to the windows load screen remove the partition again windows will give you an option for this let windows format in ntfs if it stops again change the ide cable the hdd is connected to and try again if it does it again
could be the hdd or the ide controller on the board ide1 if its not try loading on ide2 where cd is connected if it still happens i would say hdd

EasethePain

If you only had Ubuntu...
.. you could reboot your computer from the Ubuntu-cd and load the OS without the need of a hard drive.
Then, if the drivers are loaded ok, go to http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?lang=en and download the Data LIfeguard Diagnostic for DOS on a floppy, then reboot your computer and check the hard drive with the Lifeguard utility. Sure it will tell you if it is about to go for good.

Okay so i tried the hard drive from another computer and it worked.

Can this be from ram, video card or the cables? Can it also be from the cable from the powersupply?

Difficult to say...
If you tried a known-good hard drive and it worked, and yours does not, it may simply be a bad hard drive... Even good Western Digital drives can fail without a reason. Those little chips on the back of the drive can burn out... or be defective since the drive was built.
If under a year old, Western Digital will replace it... if over three years old, it was expected to fail.
Western Digital has had a lot of trouble with their newer drives designed to be "green" or use less electrical power... or to compete with other low cost drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back