Disk Boot Failure, Instert System Disk and Press Enter

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnVace

When I try to boot my computer, it goes through the normal motions until it tries to start Windows. The load bar stays up for a few minutes and then goes back a few steps, tries again, but the second time around it fails to do anything and leaves me with the message "Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter".

I haven't been able to try that yet because the disk is across the state at my parents house, I will be retrieving it this weekend.

When it goes through the second attempt at booting it displays a red blinking error message concerning the RAID, when at first it says it is healthy, it now says 'ERROR'.

This all started after I downloaded a new driver update for my nividia graphics card. Before, I have been having some trouble with it in escalating degrees. First, little error message pop ups saying the raid wasn't able to read, but I'd go into the setup and it would say both hard drives were healthy, so I figured it was just a communication error. Later on, it started to lock up, would freeze momentarily and then start to work moments later. Also, every once and a while the monitor would stop working with it, I'd be working on it and the next thing I know it is down, as if I had unplugged the monitor from the computer (the monitor doesn't turn off, just the computers connection to it does).

Here are some system stats to help people help me:
- Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5Ghz
- GC:: GeForce 9800 GX2
- MB: Nvidia nForce 780 Motherboard
- HD: Seagate Barracude 500gb (2 set up in Raid0)

Any suggestions as to how this could be fixed would be greatly appreciated.

Start by reconnecting the HardDrive or cables
Then go from there

It is possible the HardDrive has actually failed too

By the way,
"Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter".
Is not a Windows error
This is an error being reported by your Motherboard's Bios

I understand

We are now waiting on you to check the connections and so forth
By the way, you should really read the manual on AntiStatic and Power precautions (this is not a lame general comment either)

Your Manual is freely available by going to your computer's manufacture's support web page, locating your computer, and then downloading the manual.

Also if you do still require support, please give as much Computer System Info as possible (or known possible)

ie Desktop? Laptop ?
Manufacture (ie HP; Dell; Acer.....) and model number
Windows version (when it was working! )

All that type of helpful info

I already know all about the static shock thing. It doesn't have a manufacturer because I built it with help from a friend, and it's a desktop.

I checked the cables and everything seems to be in place and connected as it should be.

Ok, but I can turn it on... I just can't start Windows, isn't that what that test is for or am I missing something?

It's just that it had some info on releasing stored voltage
And also info on removing dust and checking connections

But yes it does sound like just a HardDrive fault

Have you got another computer that you can plug it into (as a secondary drive)
Or even an external USB HardDrive case or something

Just to be doubly sure, it is the HardDrive, and not the Motherboard connection (Sata or IDE unknown)

If the machine boots and gets as far as the progress bar then maybe you could try booting into safe mode and uninstall the Nvidia drivers as well as the NVraid drivers. I have had problems with Nvidia Drivers and had boot failure. (worth a try)

I'll post back later tonight or tomorrow (depending on when my room mate gets back) as he has an external hard drive I can use.

If the machine boots and gets as far as the progress bar then maybe you could try booting into safe mode and uninstall the Nvidia drivers as well as the NVraid drivers. I have had problems with Nvidia Drivers and had boot failure. (worth a try)

Refer to post#2 The message is not in Windows

When I try to boot my computer, it goes through the normal motions until it tries to start Windows.
Normal POST motions (ie checking Ram etc etc)
It never gets to starting Windows

Also, I can't boot in any mode.

Ok, update. I tried using my room mates external hard drive and it gets to the screen asking what mode I want to boot it in. I tried every mode and everytime it tries to load it (doesn't get as far as my hard drives, mine gets to window load menu). It then restarts the computer and tries to do it all over again... skips the error messages though.

doesn't get as far as my hard drives, mine gets to window load menu

Well your "mate's" HardDrive is acting normally, ie wrong chipset, so it'll just restart (if it has an installed Windows version on it - obviously yes)

But... you said yours gets further :confused:

So it must be finding your HardDrive, but then your Motherboard says "Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter".

Hmm. That doesn't add up. It wouldn't give that message if it had started loading Windows. Unless it had a faulty connection

ie Internal HardDrive Power Cable; Data Cable; or even HardDrive faulty; or Motherboard connection faulty.

To eliminate your HardDrive, try your HardDrive in another computer (ie other way around)

And please confirm when you see that message, and what it says again

Should I go back through and check the connections again? Perhaps I didn't check them thoroughly enough? I'm always a bit iffy when messing with the hardware... I'm always afraid I'm going to accidentally shock it.

Power out
Touch the case
Then don't move your feet again

Unplug the data and power cables to HDD, then re-insert securely

Note: the plugs only go one way around

MY appologies Kimsland! OK if its a bios message to insert system disk then JonVace should check his Bios Setup. If NVRAID is enabled and he does not have a raid setup then the boot will fail with that message.

Try entering bios setup > onboard devices setup> NVRAID and disable NVRAID.

The install of NVIDIA drivers probably changed the setting. and then try to go into safe mode and uninstall the NVIDIA drivers and Reinstall the original chipset drivers.

MY appologies Kimsland! OK if its a bios message to insert system disk then JonVace should check his Bios Setup. If NVRAID is enabled and he does not have a raid setup then the boot will fail with that message.

Try entering bios setup > onboard devices setup> NVRAID and disable NVRAID.

The install of NVIDIA drivers probably changed the setting. and then try to go into safe mode and uninstall the NVIDIA drivers and Reinstall the original chipset drivers.

I am using raid though, 2 500 gb in a raid0...

sorry just read your config:

only two hdds in raid0 config, so your os is on one of them, so when you get corruption or disk failure you loose your os. If you checked your hdd on another machine and they work! then you have corrupted os or hdd rather than hdd failure. raid0 has no redundancy. so bios will not recognise system disk if it'sboot sector or partition table is corrupted, it wont boot and will just ask for system disk.

dont know if booting vista recovery will correct the problem.

sorry i cant be more helpful.

I'd say that's pretty helpful

I'm working out cables stuff (you know useless stuff)
And you are providing the actual answers (Damn you Raid!)

I'll go now :)

sorry Just read your specs:

Raid0 with two hdds means your os is on one of the two members and raid0 has no redundancy. so if you get os corruption, hdd boot sector or partition table problems then you loose your os.

if you put your hdd!s in another machine and they work then the above is likely to be the problem rather than hdd failure. the bios will not find the system partition or os and asks for system disk. Have you could try running vista recovery to repair startup when you get the disk.

sorry i cant be of more help.

Not Necessarily : Only if one of the HDD's have really failed: There are some recovery options like "Raid Reconstructor" you could try downloading a trial verison: (google "download raid recovery" and find a free trial)

If you can Access the drives with SEAGATES "SEATOOLS" bootable setup software you should be able to reinitialize the disk if its just corrupt and make it usable (if it has not failed) I believe they have merged with Maxtor so check it out and download the tools.

Then all you will have to do is to reinstall windows.

Raid0 not the best raid solution
have a look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back