Disk boot failure please help

I get the message disk boot failure, insert system disk. I tried putting in xp disk still won't boot. Then tried reinstalling xp and have now got two copies of xp on hard drive...arrggh. It installs and then reboots and still says disk boot failure, i have tried repairing the installation, it just keeps reinstalling and restarting and reinstalling again. Please help. There are two hard drives in this computer one for system, one for storage. It is a Carillon audio pc, 3gb ram pentium 4.

Ok so I have now deleted all partitions, reformatted, wiped everything and reinstalled xp, the problem seems to be that I can't locate the drive in the bios to boot from it, please help this is driving me insane. Can I just put another hard drive in, does it need to be specific to the motherboard or something? I know very little about computers as I'm sure you have noticed!

Narrowed it down to a dodgy drive, took out the slave drive and now I can boot from the master but I cannot install xp, I get BSOD saying 'page fault in non paged area'. Anyone out there??

re:disk boot failure

Hi,
Thanks for responding. Yes it is the master drive. I have tried this drive in another computer and it is fine, I have tried another drive in the problem computer and get continual BSOD. I have come to the conclusion that there is a hardware failure going on somewhere, probably the memory. I am going to try removing the memory and seeing if I can identify a bad chip.

Any suggestions?

re;disk boot failure

Hi,

After many hours of messing around with various things I discovered that one of my ram wasn't working. I have removed this reinstalled xp and now have everything reinstalled, the only problem is that it is running incredibly slowly. I still have a pentium 4, 3 ghz, with hyperthresding enabled and 2 gb of ram but it wont cope with the same tasks as my old computer, running pentium 3 and 512mb of ram!! Any suggestions? It should not be this slow even with 1gb removed, i originally had 3gb. I may just throw it out the window soon....

Is there anything in particular I am looking for? The bios shows i have 2 gb ram and pentium 4. It actually shows two cpu's both 3 ghz but I am assuming thats because hyperthreading is enabled? I also have noticed that the mouse and keyboard are not powering down after shut down. There is also a graphics card with a yellow triangle saying there are no drivers installed but I think this is the on board graphics, which is disabled as there is a seperate graphics card installed.

Back