Disk in drive D is not formatted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whenever I try to open and run a CD from my CD ROM drive, I get the following message..."The disk in drive D is not formatted. Do you want to format it now? The disk just spins in the drive for a few seconds, stops, and then nothing more happens. Does anyone know why this is happening? Any way to fix this? The drive is a Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-2502 1011. I saw other messages on this board where people were having this same problem with their hard drive, but didn't see any threads on CD ROM Drives. Thanks.

open regedit and goto the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and delete the upper and lower filters values then uninstall the drivers in the device manager

Hi Zen,

Thanks for your reply. I am not accustomed to working with operating systems on a regular basis. Can you tell me how to get into the regedit? Also, after uninstalling the driver, should I reboot and let the system reinstall the driver? Thanks.

1)Go to start and then run
2)Type in Regedit and click ok
3)click on the plus next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
4)then click the plus next to system
5)then the one next to current controlset
6)then class
8)then instead of the plug click on the one that starts with 4d36e965.
9)then look at the right one will say upperfilters and one will say lower filters just right click on the and click on uninstall.
10)then go to the device manger and right click on the cd driver and click uninstall and then restart the computer and then restart.

the registry needs to restart and they'll be reset once it comes up. if that doesn't work try different kinds of disks like a cd cd-r music or a program cd and if its a combo try a dvd

Hi Zen...

I think I'm almost there. In your instructions to make changes to my registry, you listed several steps. Was there a step 7 or was that simply a numbering oversight? Also, in step 9, you say "just right click on the (?) and click on uninstall." It looks like some information was left out. Did you mean to say right click on the filters (both upper and lower?) and uninstall the filters? When right clicking on the filters the options I am given are to delete or rename. Should I delete? My OS is Win2000 pro. Thanks.

krit is right should back up registry changes 7 was a mistake and I meant to right-click on each value (upperfilters and then lower filters) and pick delete to get rid of them when you restart they should be automatically remade

Zen...

Your instructions were fine. Thanks for the link to support.microsoft. Still no luck with the drive after changing the registry. The filters did not come back into the registry after restart. Will try again to shutdown and restart to see if they come in. Thanks for your advise.

Ahhh...no I didn't. Will do it now and let you know. Thanks for the reminder. I have the flu so I'm not thinking so clearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back