Disney+ reaches 50 million subscriber milestone in just five months

nanoguy

Staff member
In brief: Disney+ is a resounding success for the Walt Disney Company, who certainly didn't expect to see it grow to 50 million users in less than a year, let alone in just five months. The company now expects the international rollout to bring another large wave of new signups, and at this point there's nothing to suggest that won't be the case.

The coronavirus pandemic has had a profound impact on the way we use the Internet, and streaming services have seen a significant uptick in both new signups and the hours spent by existing subscribers. Through a combination of quick international expansion, consumers accelerating their cord-cutting, and a robust content library, services like Disney+ are thriving and then some.

When Disney+ launched in November 2019, The Walt Disney Company told investors it was expecting to see it reach between 60 and 90 million subscribers by the end of 2024, at which point it would become profitable. But judging by today's announcement that it has already attracted more than 50 million users, it looks like it has a strong chance of reaching that milestone four years early.

The service pulled in 10 million subscribers on launch day, and after juggling technical issues related to its app architecture, it has seen steady growth to this day. For reference, Disney+ managed to reach 28.6 million subscribers by February, with half of those users gained from direct signups and the rest from Apple, Roku, and a Verizon deal. These trends have stayed more or less the same until now.

As the coronavirus forced entire regions into lockdown, Disney+ saw a 212 percent spike in new signups, which is significantly more than alternatives like Hulu, Netflix, not to mention Apple's TV+, which has had a disappointing growth trajectory that may have pushed Apple to make a special deal with Amazon.

Besides nailing the content and the monthly cost, a crucial ingredient to the impressive growth of Disney+ has been its quick international rollout. Over the last few weeks, the service went live in the UK, Germany, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Spain, Ireland and India. More than 8 million Indians subscribed within the first week.

Overall, Disney+ has surpassed alternatives like Hulu and is starting to look like a real challenger to Netflix, which has amassed more than 167 million subscribers and built a larger international presence. For comparison, Netflix launched its streaming service in 2007 and reached the 50 millions subscribers milestone in 2014. It only took Disney+ five months to do get to the same result, which is why investors sent shares up 4 percent as of writing.

Kevin Mayer, who is the Chairman of Walt Disney Direct-to-Consumer & International, said that "we’re truly humbled that Disney+ is resonating with millions around the globe, and believe this bodes well for our continued expansion throughout Western Europe and into Japan and all of Latin America later this year. Great storytelling inspires and uplifts, and we are in the fortunate position of being able to deliver a vast array of great entertainment rooted in joy and optimism on Disney+."

In related news, those of you who are looking for something to do during the lockdown and are fond of Disney rides, you can check out the virtual experience.

Permalink to story.

It's easy to rack up millions of subscribers when you're giving away your service dirt cheap for that exact goal. The problems will start once people get bored of the limit content offered and once Disney starts raising subscription prices, which they will inevitably do.

Disney+ is my #3 best deal on the internet. (Curiosity Stream 1 and Netflix 2)
And the added content scheduled for the next few months is very impressive.

Great interface, works well, entertaining.

Really was a no brainer for me anyway because I already had Hulu and ESPN+ so adding Disney+ was only an additional $6.

If it weren't for being "free" with my verizon service, I would never have joined. I would rather my bill go down instead. Once they start wanting to charge extra for it (this would include raising the verizon bill t compensate, I will not be renewing.

I am impressed with the video quality, but... 2-channel audio on a Home Theater Computer in the year 2020 is beyond poor. Come on, really?? There is no excuse for it. They've spent billions of dollars on multi-channel audio on their movies and we have to watch it in stereo? LOL

Still impressed with the globalists encouraging Disney's ability to B1B all of its expensive development labor and require their 'to be let go' employees to train the new cheaper ones or lose their severance. Disney is not allowed in my house.

Hopefully, President Trump will take a hint and add continuous 500% tariff charges to labor/wages paid to H1Bs. Maybe then, only the value-added ones that "have a skill no US worker has:, will be imported/hired.

It's easy to rack up millions of subscribers when you're giving away your service dirt cheap for that exact goal. The problems will start once people get bored of the limit content offered and once Disney starts raising subscription prices, which they will inevitably do.
How dare they offer affordable prices! gah iiirrr!!

The original Walt Disney was possibly a Nazi Sympathizer. Yet people are just turning on Disney because they gave into like 3 demands from China wtf....

If it weren't for being "free" with my verizon service, I would never have joined. I would rather my bill go down instead. Once they start wanting to charge extra for it (this would include raising the verizon bill t compensate, I will not be renewing.

I am impressed with the video quality, but... 2-channel audio on a Home Theater Computer in the year 2020 is beyond poor. Come on, really?? There is no excuse for it. They've spent billions of dollars on multi-channel audio on their movies and we have to watch it in stereo? LOL
Is this on modern titles, for instance, recent Marvell movies and such? Is it maybe a limitation of the Verizon service?

Just wondering, because I realized that while watching season 3 of Legion on Hulu the audio sounded much better than I expected. I checked the info screen on my HT Receiver and it said "DD+". Sure enough, some content on Hulu has been streaming with DD+ audio since about May of 2019 - https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/hulu-now-offers-5-1-surround-sound-on-select-devices/
https://help.hulu.com/s/article/sound-quality?language=en_US
I am using the Hulu Windows 10 App.

Not that I am defending Disney- since I seriously doubt that I will ever subscribe to it, but given that lowly Hulu has DD+ for some titles, I would not be surprised if Disney- adds DD+ (or some other higher-quality variant) at some point in the future.

Have Disney+ because the introductory price was great and there are two shows I want to watch.
As far as content goes, there should be enough to watch for starters, but not long term and especially not when compared to Netflix.

I think there is a reason why Disney does not release entire seasons of their new shows at once....

Is this on modern titles, for instance, recent Marvell movies and such? Is it maybe a limitation of the Verizon service?

Just wondering, because I realized that while watching season 3 of Legion on Hulu the audio sounded much better than I expected. I checked the info screen on my HT Receiver and it said "DD+". Sure enough, some content on Hulu has been streaming with DD+ audio since about May of 2019 - https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/hulu-now-offers-5-1-surround-sound-on-select-devices/
https://help.hulu.com/s/article/sound-quality?language=en_US
I am using the Hulu Windows 10 App.

Not that I am defending Disney- since I seriously doubt that I will ever subscribe to it, but given that lowly Hulu has DD+ for some titles, I would not be surprised if Disney- adds DD+ (or some other higher-quality variant) at some point in the future.

Yeah, I did try Bluestacks so I can use the android app, but disney made sure it doesn't work. Browsers do not support multi-channel audio, so HTPC users are screwed. Given how long this has been out, disney doesn't seem to give a damn. I will not downgrade to win10 and I sure will never use the crap they call their store.

I tried both hulu and nutflix a year or so ago. Same deal - only 2-channel audio. As long as they are forcing us to use a browser, or browsers start supporting multi-channel audio, we are screwed.

Sorry Disney, you've made enough $$ for 1000 life times of richness, and I am not giving you a penny more for nostalgia sake. A pirates life for me!

Still not worth it yet except for kids. I’ll wait another 6 months and see what’s on offer. Most people I know signed up for the Mandalorian and then cancelled their subscription due to lack of content.

I wonder just how many of Disney- subscribers are Verizon customers as there is no mention of this in the article. IMO, Disney is not beyond "spin" for publicity and marketing.
Yeah, I did try Bluestacks so I can use the android app, but disney made sure it doesn't work. Browsers do not support multi-channel audio, so HTPC users are screwed. Given how long this has been out, disney doesn't seem to give a damn. I will not downgrade to win10 and I sure will never use the crap they call their store.

I tried both hulu and nutflix a year or so ago. Same deal - only 2-channel audio. As long as they are forcing us to use a browser, or browsers start supporting multi-channel audio, we are screwed.
Well, that's your choice. It is possible to wear protection from 10 and all its inadequacies. :laughing: Though by no means is it the only step I have taken to immunize myself from WinDOHs 10, I've a separate PC for my HTPC running 10 pro with updates turned off. For some who do not want to go that far, Virtual Box might be an option.

I still prefer disc, though, for some things. I'll wait for The Mandalorian, and the last season of the Clone Wars to hit blu-ray to see them. IMO, there's no need to subscribe. The Rise of Skywalker is already on BR; when our local library system reopens, I'll get it from there, as I will anything else I am interested in seeing when it comes to disc. I doubt Disney won't release on disc as it is just another avenue for them to earn more $$$.

Back