Disney+ reveals compatible devices, launch dates for new streaming service

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Bottom line: With a strong content library, an attractive price and a bundle that looks even better, Disney+ certainly stands to shake up the streaming video landscape. Disney will be hosting its fan expo in Anaheim later this week at which time we’ll likely hear more about the streaming platform’s plans.

Disney’s long-rumored streaming service will finally open its doors on November 12. When it does, it’ll be available on a variety of platforms although curiously enough, one major name is missing from the list.

Disney+ will initially be available on Apple TV, iPad, iPhone, Android TV, Android mobile devices, Chromecast, desktop web browsers, PlayStation 4, Roku streaming players, Roku TV and Xbox One. Curiously enough, Amazon’s Fire TV and tablets aren't part of the pack – not yet, anyway.

The service is set to launch in the US, Canada and the Netherlands on November 12 priced at $6.99 per month (or $69.99 annually), $8.99 CAD per month (or $89.99 CAD annually) and €6.99 per month (or €69.99 per year), respectively. A week later, on November 19, the service will be available in Australia and New Zealand for $8.99 AUD per month (or $89.99 AUD per year) and $9.99 NZD per month (or $99.99 NZD per year), respectively.

Earlier this month, if your recall, Disney revealed that it’ll also offer a bundle that includes Disney+, ESPN+ and Hulu for $12.99 per month. That’s an excellent value and the same price as Netflix’s standard package (with HD).

Permalink to story.

Thor 4 and Ariel were the last straw. I am done with Disney.
Digimon Tri is so good and with Asia in general has been delivering masterpieces.

This here is why people pirate TV shows, because all these companies expect people to subscribe to ten different services if they want to legally watch everything they like. Disney pulled all their content from Netflix and every other service with the specific goal of forcing people to pay for YET ANOTHER streaming service. Sorry, NEVER going to happen.

What grates on me is the ESPN+ bundle. Why? Why do they always force everyone to pay for ESPN? They managed to force everyone paying for cable to pay for ESPN even if they didn't sign up for it!

Stop stuffing ESPN down everyone's throats.

What grates on me is the ESPN+ bundle. Why? Why do they always force everyone to pay for ESPN? They managed to force everyone paying for cable to pay for ESPN even if they didn't sign up for it!

This isn't even the real ESPN. It's the weirdo channel for obscure stuff that nobody cares about.

They... they're not? You can buy Disney+ and Hulu separately, or you can get all 3 of them in a bundle for a discount.

Sign me up bro!! My kids will love me!
Yes, go rent shows instead of buying them...

(note sarcasm)

Yes, young kids really only enjoy a film when you've paid for it on Blu-ray to own forever, they're very concerned about the low costs eroding our concept of ownership of entertainment media and they find it really tarnishes the experience of watching Frozen for the 37th time that week.

(also sarcasm, since apparently we have to tell people that now)

Still no news on when the rest of Europe get it.
if it's not released quickly after the first, there will be pirating on a new level for the new shows.

I'm tempted to just get it here and there to binge movies and shows and then let it go again, I tend to get the MCU films on Bluray and have the latest Star Wars as well. The Disney/Pixar films are pretty expensive with artificially inflated pricing even secondhand where Marvel films are available aplenty.

Interested to see what other things end up on the service since the Fox merger.

(note sarcasm)

I don't know if you're old enough to have been there when blockbuster existed, but renting movies was a thing, y'know?

Also, how much would you initial investment be on the twenty-something staple disney movies? MCU movies?

I'll help you with the maths.

Most disney's blurays are between 15-25 bucks so for the initial 20 movies you'll be spending at least 300 bucks. That's 4 years worth of subscription on the movies alone, now get the tv shows on disc and some other B movies and you'll be spending maybe another 300 usd or so, so yeah, if you're looking to watch those movies for 10 at least years, go ahead and buy discs.

This here is why people pirate TV shows, because all these companies expect people to subscribe to ten different services if they want to legally watch everything they like. Disney pulled all their content from Netflix and every other service with the specific goal of forcing people to pay for YET ANOTHER streaming service. Sorry, NEVER going to happen.

Shock horror ... film companies charge for their content and people refuse to pay so pirate. This is cack all to do with subscriptions and tbh it works out a damn site cheaper than back in the days of buying vhs or dvds. I remember I once bought every single Friends episode on DVD .. 16.99 for 3 episodes!!! Or when DVDs came out I was paying in excess of 20 for just one film. This makes streaming a hell of a lot cheap. If you only watch one film a month a subscription based service is better than buying one dvd/bluray a month.

Cancel Hulu, sign up for Disney+ for pretty much the same price.....seems like a deal to me.

Youtube TV, Disney+, and Netflix, $83 a month which is still cheaper than basic cable.

Cancel Hulu, sign up for Disney+ for pretty much the same price.....seems like a deal to me.

Youtube TV, Disney+, and Netflix, $83 a month which is still cheaper than basic cable.
That's $1k a year, just to watch some youtubers and movies/TV you can get for free from your local library.

It amazes me what people will spend money on. My insurance for 2 cars and a house is less then that!

Public Library probably going away soon. many people don’t want to pay tax to non digital content they have to leave their home to get.

Or he could get them from his local library and show his children the wonders of libraries at the same time. :)
Show me where libraries closing is headline news. I doubt libraries closing will happen at any time in the near future. Lots of people use the library; as long as large numbers of people are using the library, they will be around.

There are apps and websites one can rent digital content from their library, including movies, audiobooks and ebooks. I use them all the time...Libby, Overdrive, and Hoopla being the most often used for me...for FREE!

Back