DNS error on random websites

verity25

Hi,

Can anyone please help with this problem as it's driving me nuts. I am getting the DNS error when I try to go to certain websites ie. ebay.com. I've been in contact with my ISP but they don't seem to know how to fix the problem. My system consists of: WinXP Pro sp3, D-Link 2640R Router, wired connection. I'd be grateful any help. Thank you....

Verity25

I have managed to resolve this issue myself....

Hmm, w/o more info, an inability to access common sites like "eBay" suggests your "Network Adapter" (not hardware, but a MS Networking driver) is corrupted. A number of things can cause this, but "AdWare" is the most common culprit. The problem has always been far too common with XP (and earlier). Much less of a problem since Vista/W7 made changes to those essential services far more unlikely.

If you can, I suggest you try connecting another PC to the same internet connection and see what you get. Or, if you're computer savvy enough, I recommend downloading a free copy of Ubuntu Linux and connecting to the Internet with the "Live CD" (a way to test the OS w/o installing it.) Both methods will rule out an issue with your ISP.

Back