Do I need a case fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Forums,

Im building a Mediacenter (HTPC) and have gotten a nice hardware configuration together:

Asus P5K SE
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.67GHz
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro P
4GB DDR2 800MHz PC2-6400
Seagate 500GB HD 7200 SATAII/3
Inno3D Nvidia Geforce 8400GS (256MB)
NorthQ 500W Fanless ODB PSU

I have assembled everything in an old PC case that have a pre installed case fan, which makes a lot of noise. I am wondering what would be the best way to deal with this noise issue. Would I need it at all - can I unplug it? Or should I play it safe, and go look for a low noise replacement?

I am not a hardware expert - and was in doubt if this is the correct forum... for my cooling issue?

Hope someone can help out.

Soeren

I wouldn't go without any fan at all. You can replace it with a quieter one. Compare the decibel ratings of the different fans to get one that is relatively quiet. If your case permits fitting a larger fan, they will move the same or more air at a lower RPM which equals less noise. There are adjustable speed fans too so you can minimize noise. However, adequate cooling is the first priority.

mailpup said:
I wouldn't go without any fan at all. You can replace it with a quieter one. Compare the decibel ratings of the different fans to get one that is relatively quiet. If your case permits fitting a larger fan, they will move the same or more air at a lower RPM which equals less noise. There are adjustable speed fans too so you can minimize noise. However, adequate cooling is the first priority.

Thanks, I appreciate. Will look for an adjustable fan.
Soeren

Agreed that you shouldn't run without an exhaust fan. Yes, your PSU likely has one in some form, but that won't be sufficient.

You'd be well suited to grab an intake and an exhaust if the case allows. You need to determine whether you cause use 120mm or only 80mm (or the rarer 92mm).

I dont think my final case will support 2 fans. What I'll do is, unassemble the fan from the case and bring it to the dealer to make sure I'll get the right one.

Thanks again.
Soeren

I'd check out the lower noise fans. However, bear in mind that these fans generally move less air, so your comp might still overheat.

If it does happen, try changing the heatsink on your CPU to something that will exhaust the hot air immediately, such as the Zalman 9700 or those of similar designs. They cost a tad more than other heatsinks, but you wouldn't require much noisier fans to cool your PC.

Thermaltake has some smaller versions of these upright heatsinks (for 92mm fans). Before you ask, the 92mm fan is installed on the heatsink, not the case, so its not a problem if your case supports only 80mm fans.

Also, from experience, PSUs can be pretty loud as well. I wouldn't recommend changing those fans, since it would be dangerous for someone who has no idea what they're really doing (in terms of actually changing the thing, as well as running it). Changing the whole PSU would be in order if thats the problem.

Another source of noise would be from the GPU. I doubt it would be much of a problem, your graphics card isn't a real heat producer, hence shouldn't have a huge, noisy fan.

Previous Fan Failure

:blush: , The complicated FIX,? I listed after calling Dell Tech a while back turned out to be an off & on fix - It would work for a while then go back to "Hanging Up" at the Previous Fan Failure Message.
One person did supply a remedy on the "Hanging Up" Here and I tryed It and I still see a glimpse of the Message, but no more Hang Up's since..!
As You first start the Computer, catch the F2 Option which will take You to System, scroll down to "Report Keyboard Failures" thrn It to Off, hit Esc, then choose the Save and Exit, and the Computer should start without "Hanging Up" even tho You'll probably still see the message for a breif moment.
I fixed something else this way and It worked for something a few years ago, I can't remember what now.
Oh and did You get and use a tube of "Thermal Grease on the CPU..? It's very important for the transferal of Heat from the "Hot Running" CPU to the Heat Sink, that could RoasT The CPU, very easily. Good Luck & Later, snoopindaweb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back