Does unplugging the power cord really save energy?

Condor

Hi

What's the disadvantage from pulling the power core to conserve energy when its not in use? I read some where that gaming pc drain a lot even when if its off and my electricity bill is around $140 this month o.o;

I also wondering if playing intense game for a long period of time cause the power supply to use more energy?

ty in advance

It saves some energy. You are probably pulling 1-5W from the wall with it off (I'd guess closer to 1). You can calculate how much money that will save you over a month based on the rate per KWH on your electric bill. I bet it would calculate out to less than $1.

Intense gaming.... Not sure what you are asking. You will for sure use more power during gaming. But if you were asking if that over time makes you draw more power then the answer would be no. Well, I'm sure on a detailed enough level the longer and harder you use your PSU the less efficient it will become over time, so in that respect yes, but again I would expect this to be pennies a day at worst.

As above; gaming will seriously increase power consumption (with high end hardware) as it will consume a considerable amount of power from the wall.

But your talking pennies (or cents) per year for unplugging your computer between usage. The only real benefit would be total protection from lightning strikes, assuming everything else directly connected to the wall is also isolated from the mains.

Back