Dolby Atmos for PC, Nvidia drivers and a simple user stuck in between the fire

Do you use Dolby atmos for PC?

• No, never heard of

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

toooooot

Hello, I am writing this as a simple knowledge piece. The user base using dolby atmos for PC is small but only harder is the strugle.

A while back I added a receiver to my PC. I run sound from my Nvidia graphic card via hdmi to the receiver and to the speakers and I am using windows 10, GPU1080ti and a Sony str dn1080 receiver.

When I first connected this new receiver I downloaded a dolby app from MS store. And thats when I first saw that the setting I needed to switch in Windows settings to enable atmos wasnt working. It would either say the device isn't compatible with this feature or later it would simply not switch to dolby atmos. I gave up and decided to keep using it as it is.

I was very surprised later in July when I upgraded Nvidia driver to a newer version and checked if I could use dolby atmos then. I COULD! I was able to switch to it in windows sound settings, I could see it on my receiver's screen when watching titles with dolby atmos! It was using atmos sound track.

And then the next driver came, and the next... They no longer worked. I am tempted to test a different receiver with everything else being the same, just to be absolutely sure this sint just receiver doing something. Maybe I will do eventually, it is just there are too many cables to connect and disconnect.

But even now, I am quite confident that specific nvidia drivers wreck dolby atmos for PC. I rolled back to July driver for now. All works. But I am just disappointed that Nvidia releases drivers that cant work with dolby atmos.

If anybody has anything to add or argue, please do. I would like to hear about your experience with using dolby atmos for PC.

Last edited:
I got some feedback from other users on Nvidia forums using this feature. Some of them can use it with latest drivers without issues. Then what else could it be, receiver itself, Windows version? Although somebody mentioned using 20xx vid card for the sound. I got 1080ti however...

I need to add that even with working driver, sometimes when I restart my PC or turn it off for the night, I have to uninstall the driver from Device Manager. And then restart to make it work again.

Back