1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Don't post on social media while under the influence -- odds are, you'll regret it

By Shawn Knight · 11 replies
Aug 9, 2019
Post New Reply
  1. In today’s issue of common sense chronicles, researchers have concluded that it’s not a great idea to post on social media while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Researchers from the Center for Drug Use and HIV/HCV Research (CDUHR) at NYU College of Global Public Health questioned 872 adults entering electronic dance music parties in New York City regarding social interactions while under the influence of drugs.

More than a third of attendees (34.3 percent) said they had posted on social media while high. Unsurprisingly, 21.4 percent said they regretted doing so. Similarly, more than half (55.9 percent) said they have texted or called someone while under the influence, with 30.5 percent later regretting it. Nearly half (47.6 percent) said they’ve had their photo taken while high and 32.7 percent regretted it.

CDUHR researcher Joseph Palamar, PhD, MPH, said risky social media posts have the potential to cause embarrassment, stress and conflict and impact others in your social networks.

“It can also have adverse implications for one's career, since the majority of employers now use social media platforms to screen job candidates and may search for evidence of substance use,” Palamar said.

Palamar adds that using apps to prevent texting while intoxicated or delaying posting on social media until one is no longer experiencing drug effects may help to minimize social harm.

Image credit: Beach party by Dmitry Galaganov. Nightlife photo by OPOLJA.

Permalink to story.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2019
  2. Jeff Re

Jeff Re TS Addict Posts: 160   +125

I really need to get into this "research" racket...

arrowflash, Nobina and yRaz like this.
  3. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 3,506   +1,973

I just don't post

4. Damocles

Damocles TS Rookie

I wonder what ol' Trumpy boy seems to be permanently on?

Wessell Urdata and Stormbreaker like this.
  5. yRaz

yRaz Nigerian Prince Posts: 2,932   +2,251

Light weights.....

JaredTheDragon likes this.
  6. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 1,996   +1,534

Didn't you just read this article? It clearly says don't post while drunk.

cliffordcooley likes this.
  7. netman

netman TS Evangelist Posts: 344   +105

"Don't post on social media while under the influence -- odds are, you'll regret it"

Also, don't look down on your cell phone while crossing the street, you may run over by a car!

Too, don't look down on your cell phone while walking on sidewalk, your cell phone may get stolen!

8. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 15,072   +4,080

Really, it's practically, "Money for Nothing"......

9. lexster

lexster TS Guru Posts: 531   +261

Better idea, just stay off social media...

Knot Schure and arrowflash like this.
  10. Plutoisaplanet

Plutoisaplanet TS Booster Posts: 100   +77

It’s true, don’t do any communication except with your drunk friends while smashed. They’re gonna forget about it lmao. Everyone else isn’t gonna immediately understand lmao. Better yet: don’t get drunk!!

11. Knot Schure

Knot Schure TS Addict Posts: 276   +118

I wish my poker account could barr me whilst under the influence...

12. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 15,072   +4,080

I'm finding it difficult to make up my mind as to suggest whether you should start at Alcoholics Anonymous, and then go to Gambler's Anonymous, or vice versa.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019 at 5:52 AM

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...