Dormant video game publisher Sierra releases new teaser video

Justin Kahn

dormant sierra activision thq vivendi video game publisher 38 studios

Update: Activision has now confirmed that Sierra is coming back from the dead and will serve as an incubator within the publisher bringing top indie games from third party studios to digital platforms like PlayStation Network, Xbox Live and Steam.

Two initial efforts include a reboot of the classic King's Quest, noting that the IP is being "fully reimagined" by The Odd Gentlemen (The Misadventures of PB Winterbottom), with a release planned for 2015. The second title is Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions, developed by Lucid Games.

Original story is below:

The last few years have come along with a number of video game publishers and studios closing like THQ and the messy situation surrounding 38 Studios. One of those companies that faded away was Sierra Entertainment. The company was responsible for titles like the Space Quests series as well as lending a hand with publishing on the Half Life games, Spyro and Crash Bandicoot.

Formerly known as Sierra Online, the company was essentially shuttered when Activision merged with Sierra parent company Vivendi in 2008. After what many considered a long list of sub-par releases, Sierra appeared to have disappeared for good. But now, on the eve of Gamescom 2014 in Cologne, Germany, the company looks to be making a comeback.

In the video below, we see a faceless hiker making his/her way towards a large snow covered mountain in the distance, before the camera pans out to reveal a new Sierra logo. While there is no confirmation as to whether or not these are art assets from an upcoming title, some believe they are. Either way it likely safe to assume we will be seeing something new from the company this week in Germany. The video comes by way of a new Sierra teaser site promoting Gamescom 2014.

While it likely won't be long until we find out more about what Activision and Sierra are up to, you can check out the teaser video below in the meantime...

Permalink to story.

Wow what a good trailer I could really see what the game was about... jesus worst trailer ever...

Dormant the only video game publisher to show you something really good about their game to try to get you hooked on the game... its got snow in it...

Wow what a good trailer I could really see what the game was about... jesus worst trailer ever...

The whole purpose of a teaser is to create a mystery. This is why it's called a teaser and not a preview. Though, the video in question is more of a whiff of a sample of a teaser. Personally, I would have liked five more seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:
It took me 5 years to finish police quest. After giving up I beat it pretty quick.

It took me 5 years to finish police quest. After giving up I beat it pretty quick.
No rush mate, take your time, another 15 years at this new one, so then you can look back and say - life was good... ;)

It's not a teaser.. it's just a video logo..

Remember when you watch a movie, and there's often a short 5 second shot that looks like maybe an action scene or a camera panning around some sort of object, only to then display the logo of the production company/publisher?

It's that - but for Sierra. It's obvious as the logo is a mountain.. thus this guy going towards the mountain is just an extension of the logo.

I'd have money on the game not having ANYTHING to do with a mountain or even snow.

I agree, Jamesbrah. That mountain in the snow looks like half-dome in Yosemite in the Sierra Nevada mountains in California. It might not be the actual mountain but it looks similar.

The whole purpose of a teaser is to create a mystery. This is why it's called a teaser and not a preview. Though, the video in question is more of a whiff of a sample of a teaser. Personally, I would have liked five more seconds.

Dunno about you but making a video like that shows... hmm nothing... except 1. it has snow, 2. it has a logo in it, 3. that "Teaser" if you could call it that shows nothing besides well snow....

I liked Sierra games back when I were a lad. There was that game in the film Big, that they reminded me of.
But I do believe that they had a mountain logo in SWAT.
And confirmed by the wiki its just a logo...

On August 7, 2014, the website for Sierra, which previously redirected to Activision's website, was updated, showcasing a new logo, teasing that "More to be revealed at Gamescom 2014."

If you're going to spend some time making a teaser, make it look good! Have a peek at the stuff Blizzard puts out for nice looking teaser trailers.

Dormant the only video game publisher to show you something really good about their game to try to get you hooked on the game... its got snow in it...

Teaser... Not Trailer

So many people complaining that the teaser is short and shows almost nothing. *facepalm

Teaser shows the game will have snow & a mountain but thats it, if you call that a teaser then I must be bill gates.... its like posting a 0.3second clip of a cloud and calling it a teaser... shows nothing what so ever...

Maybe with their possible resurgence, we'll get some sequels to games like Evil Genius, a game I always wanted more of.

Teaser shows the game will have snow & a mountain but thats it, if you call that a teaser then I must be bill gates.... its like posting a 0.3second clip of a cloud and calling it a teaser... shows nothing what so ever...
I've seen teasers that only show a letter/number or a symbol. how is this any different?

Years ago Sierra published Homeworld 2 from Relic. This new teaser is reminiscent of the intro to their old Homeworld 2 trailer.

There are those of us out there who liked King's Quest. I, personally, will look forward to a new release in the series.

Wow, seriously?

why would anyone think it's a good idea to change the genre of a classic game like kings quest?

they tried doing that with leisure suit larry with box office bust... and it literally got a 1 star out of 5 everywhere. total failure.

Sierra already tried to do it with kings quest 8 as well. That one was also widely hated by adventure gamers.

Listen, sierra games don't just attract the everyday adventure gamer. Fans of them are the oldschool hardcore adventure gamer purists that can't even stand how the new adventure gamer are too easy and how you can't die or anything in them. There's no way this game is going to do good with our crowd. You couldn't shoot yourself in the foot any worse than this.

Why try to bring back kings quest only to spit in the face of every fan of the game out there?
this is just awful. please don't even make this game if this is what you're going to do. You obviously have no idea what you're getting into.

Back