Dota 2 tosses out sign-up queue, opens game to everyone and anyone

Russ Boswell

DOTA 2 has been out for quite a while now and most of you diehard fans out there have probably already mastered one, if not all of the available characters. But did you know that there are gamers who have never had a chance to experience Valve's newest MOBA? A queue system has been in place ever since the game started, forcing players to sign up and “wait” until they were allowed access into the title.

That's all changing though, with Valve announcing that it is removing the queue that limited how many new players could join the game. The move is seen as an attempt to boost DOTA 2's numbers, and create a larger community of players. In its latest blog post, Valve boasted that it sees around 6.5 million active monthly players. Note that they did not say “unique” so this may be the same players coming back for more fun each day. These are solid statistics, but nothing compared to what Riot's popular MOBA, League of Legends sees each month.

It will be very interesting to see if this will draw more players into the DOTA 2 ranks, and if Valve will see a noticeable bump to the title's population each month. If you want to jump on the DOTA 2 bandwagon but were previously unable to, you can now simply head to the title's Steam page and hit “Play Now” to join in on the fun.

Permalink to story.

Actually, the metric in game shows that it IS unique players. http://I.imgur.com/19n58X1.jpg is an in-game screenshot from before the full release of the game. It shows 4 million unique players per month. Currently, it shows as about 6.45 million unique players. It's a shame I can't log in to the game to show you.

I would love to see the DOTA 2 community grow larger than League of legends, but I do not see that happening as the game is much much more difficult. Which will turn off a number of players in the LOL community. I have tried to convert several of my friends, but the learning curve just seems to be too high for them to stick with it.

My hat is off to Valve though as they did a great job creating this game!

ALL HAIL ICEFROG! :)

I would love to see the DOTA 2 community grow larger than League of legends, but I do not see that happening as the game is much much more difficult. Which will turn off a number of players in the LOL community. I have tried to convert several of my friends, but the learning curve just seems to be too high for them to stick with it.

My hat is off to Valve though as they did a great job creating this game!

ALL HAIL ICEFROG! :)
The problem is that when you spend time to learn LoL, you don't wanna leave all that and switch to DoTA and go all over with the learning curve. People don't like learning curves.

I prefered LoL because it has better overview of items and UI. Gameplay is not much different. Nowadays I kinda like DotA more.

I have been a Dota addict since mid 2007. I used to enjoy playing 'Halbardiers' in multiplayer maps of AOE 2 upto then. Personally, I did not find the learning curve to be that tedious as some of the friends have experineced. Remember, that in our gang of roommates, each of us believed we had mastered one hero and no other guy could take that hero. Mine was Lich King. I used to play Lich King Solo against them playing others heroes, all mid. My ulti used to kill them all :D Ofc, we were amateurs then and did not know the techniques of last hit, deny or savings the *** form Lich's ulti by moving away from one another :)
Then came a phase when Broodmother played by a friend used to own us all with her Ulti of insatiable hunger :D.
A phase where I used to play Earthshaker with Battle Fury :D Love Dota. Been an addict, and to avoid it, have not switched on my Gaming Machine since 4 months now :(
Peace.

Back