Download of the Week: Dexpot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Virtual desktop applications can be a blessing for serious multitaskers juggling multiple open applications on a daily basis, especially when there's no room in the budget for a second monitor. Dexpot allows you to create up to 20 total workspaces so you have that extra desktop real estate to spread out your work. You can setup shortcuts to easily switch between screens, peruse a catalog to see what you've got running on them, and configure each desktop independently.

If you look into into the more advanced features you can create rules that will let you assign different programs to run on each desktop. That way it's easier to streamline your computing experience and focus on the task at hand by breaking down applications accordingly. For example, desktop 1 can be used to get work done on word processing or spreadsheets programs; desktop 2 for IM, email and calendaring; desktop 3 for web browsing and so on.

The latest version includes full support for Windows 7's Aero Peek, so you can pin the application to the taskbar and use the thumbnails to navigate between multiple virtual desktops. To activate the feature just head to the Settings panel, look for the Plug-ins section and then enable SevenDex. Dexpot is free for personal use and available to download here.

Permalink to story.

Timonius said:
This sort of thing has been a built in staple in Linux for ages now.

Yup, as well as Mac OS X, and what's funny is it's possible on Windows only through a third party software which means Microsoft still didn't get it right.

I loved it in OS X though and I have been really bugged about the fact that 7 doesn't support multiple virtual desktops, cause I'm getting lost switching windows when Im working.

Been using this for a while now and I find it completely indispensable. I've gotten so used to this kind of functionality via compiz that I noticed a decrease in productivity when I was on the Windows side. This is also the only one of these types of apps I could find that would retain Aero on all other desktops.

Love this program, just wish multi-monitor systems were better supported. It just stretches across both of my monitors, which are different resolutions (laptop screen and larger desktop screen). I typically use the 2 monitors to separate my work and/or optimize my efficiency, which was a weird stumbling block for this otherwise excellent program... And, honestly, every other desktop management program I've tried so far... *sigh*

It's not - it's actually multiple desktops, but this misnomer has been used for some time now to represent this idea.

ElShotte said:
Yup, as well as Mac OS X, and what's funny is it's possible on Windows only through a third party software which means Microsoft still didn't get it right.
Except Microsoft did make software to do it; The Desktop manager as part of the PowerToys software pack for Windows XP. It wasn't the greatest, but it DID work.

Microsoft usually has this little issue with with being blamed for just about anything when they put something useful into their OS, even as an optional, separate download component, but I don't see why they can't include a multi-desktop feature (or have powercalc as an advanced calculator on top of the normal calc).

Actually the Powertoys Desktop Manager didn't really work at all, and seemed to completely miss the whole point of multiple desktops, as no matter which desktop you switched to, every window you had open in all of them was still represented in the taskbar, making things just as cluttered as before. All it was good for was a essentually just minimising some windows and opening others in a slightly quicker way than doing it manually.

@calculator

Windows 7 has multiple calculators in addition to standard. Just open win7 calculator and click on "view" and toggle which mode you want:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/03/03/new-upgraded-calculator-in-windows-7/

The only thing that is really upgraded in the windows 7 calculator is that the statistics mode is a lot better and has built in (though rudimentary in design) conversions, Otherwise it is essentially the same as the XP/Vista calculator. Powercalc is a different beast. Best way to think of it as a basic version of what you're used to doing with a TI graphing calculator in terms of input with a poorly implemented graphing feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back