Driver enabled, but no sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

BorisandBailey

Hi, everyone.

I'm really stumped on this one.

Problem: No sound device found.

I have installed the Realtek driver on an ASUS motherboard, sound on board--identical to the driver and motherboard I have on another computer. I tried to uninstall it but I got the message, "Failed to Install. The device may be required to boot up the computer." All drivers are enabled.

In the BIOS, the on board sound is enabled. I tried disabling it after removing the driver. No luck.

I tried taking the driver out of the Driver folder and reinstall the newest Realtek driver and software (identical to the other computer) , but that failed.

I removed the Realtek driver and other Realtek components through another item in the Device Manager: Legacy. After rebooting I tried to reinstall the Realtek software and drivers but it failed to install.

So I disabled the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio, then the driver and software installed.

But I'm back at square one. When I look at the properties on the OTHER computer, it lists for the driver: Driver Provider: Realtek; Driver Date: 3/26/07; Driver Version: 5.10.0.5391; Digital Signer: Microsoft.

But on the computer with NO sound, the Driver Provider, Date, Version, and Digital Signer are all missing.

So, if the device is required to boot the computer, cannot be uninstalled, and the driver isn't signed (though the same driver is signed on the other identical computer), what do I do now to get sound on the computer?

Thanks for putting up with my long message.

Run this and clean ALL the Realtek stuff. Reboot.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3214

Then, go to the Asus site and download the Chipset drivers (latest) and install them. Reboot.

Then, run sfc /scannow. Reboot.

Then download the drivers again, save them to your desktop so you can find them, and leave them there until you are getting sound.

Then, inititiate the install again.

Thank you for your reply, CCT.

The link opens a blank page on Major Geeks. What would the name of the application be that will clean out all the Realtek stuff?

J

Go through this list I made:

Checks:

Check the motherboard bios to ensure sound is enabled.

Check Start, All Programs, Accessories, Entertainment, Volume Control to ensure no 'mute' box is ticked and volume sliders are at maximum.

Check Start, Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager for any yellow alert markings.

Check Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services for the Windows Audio entry and ensure it is set to automatic and is started.

Check Start, Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Speaker Volume to ensure speakers volume is maximum and then check Advanced to ensure speaker setup is right.

Check Start, Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Audio - make sure a default device is entered for Sound Playback and for Midi Music Playback.

Check Start, Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Hardware - click on the cd/dvd and make sure it is enabled then look at properties - properties to make sure the cd/dvd isn't muted and the sound volume is at maximum.

Check Start, Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Hardware - there should be an Audio Codecs entry and an entry for the Audio Controller.

The audio codecs can be further explored by clicking properties - properties. A number of codecs may be displayed. It may be useful to select the Microsoft codecs

one at a time and click properties and re-number them 1-5 such that they are the default codes. Make a note of the original sequence of priority so you can return to the original later if you want to.

The audio controller can be further explored by clicking properties. Make sure the device is enabled.

For what it's worth, you can still find Driver Cleaner Pro 1.5 for free download on the web.

CCP,

Thanks much for your list! I will print it out and go through it line by line tomorrow evening. It's good to know people like you who have been through this.

Mailpup,

I'm going to continue looking for Driver Cleaner Pro 1.5.

Latest on Driver enabled, but no sound

Still, no sound.

CCT has a terrific list that I followed. With a couple of exceptions, everything checked out, the exceptions having to do with the Control Panel>Sound: everything is grayed out because there is No Sound Device (actually, there is, but Windows doesn't see it). With it grayed out, I cannot set volume levels.

I also cleaned out the drivers with Driver Cleaner, cleaned out the ATI programs, downloaded the chipset driver, rebooted, and installed all new software and Realtek drivers. The Realtek drivers install only if I disable the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio. I don't think it's supposed to work out that way.

I still cannot get any sound. The Realtek driver is still unsigned by Microsoft (the identical driver is signed on my other computer). If I try to install the driver with the UAA Bus Driver enabled, I get the message that the Realtek installation failed.

Any ideas on what to do now?

Almost similar problem

Hi

I have an almost similar problem. I have 2 different motherboards in 2 machines. Both with Realtek HD Audio. One is a Biostar nForce board, the other is a P35 DS3L board. The drivers install without problem, yet there is still no sound. I did the checklist, everything looks normal. My audio jacks are not blown, i need help.

I'm running XP Pro SP2. I did the kb888111 patch, and tried various others, the drivers are the ones supplied with the motherboard, and they HAVE to work. I have my audio icon in the lower left tray, but no sound...

Please help? It's rather urgent...
Merry Christmas to all.

Hi, Wraiith.

This might sound kind of funny, but on the motherboard there's a 10-1 pin (nine pins, one pin absent) front panel audio connector. The wire comes from the front of the computer and it has an end on it that fits into the pins. Is it connected?

Some computer cases don't come with that wire. Instead, they have a wire with a jack that extends from the front panel to the rear panel. If your computer case is like that, you'll need to get a sound card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back