Driver Sweeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustin_ds3000

Is Driver Sweeper still recommend to be used when updating video card drives. i have never used it and i haven't have any problems ether. Oh and Nvidia 196.75 WHQL drver is out today

just my opinion Dustin, but I would stay far away from driver sweeper, has a habit of replacing things you don't want replaced. Take the time and update manually. just my 2 cents

driver sweeper is amazing, never had any problems with it and i always recommend it... especially when normal uninstalls fail. the only way it might replace something that shouldn't be is if you tell it to, so that's user error not the program. i mean if you can't figure out DS you might as well not use the computer at all. plus, you only use the program after regular driver uninstall procedures...

I have used it on two occasions, both times i ended up with a failed install and an error. but i only build these things for a living so what the **** do i know.

doesn't matter if you build PCs for a living... and you can't use "it doesn't work" as a generalization either because there are infinite system configurations. just because you used it twice and failed doesn't mean everyone is gonna have the same result. i don't mean to sound like a d*** but i hate when people use the "i do this for a living" excuse. personally, i don't care if you use it or not but don't look down on something that isn't broken.

doesn't matter if you build PCs for a living... and you can't use "it doesn't work" as a generalization either because there are infinite system configurations
there are infinite system configurations

That is exactly my point! there are infinite system configurations, and if it misfires on some of them there is a chance it will misfire on yours.
I defy you to show me where I said "it doesn't work" and yes you put that in quotes meaning that was what i wrote. I did not in fact say that! what I said was >>>C&P here:
just my opinion Dustin, but I would stay far away from driver sweeper, has a habit of replacing things you don't want replaced. Take the time and update manually. just my 2 cents

see the 'just my opinion'? see the my 'two cents'? well it is my opinion that you manually install and update drivers,and that is precisely what I said. If you don't like that opinion, then you do not have to follow it (that's the 'just my 2 cents part'). and as far as the "i do it for a living" that's not an excuse...its a reason.

if it misfires on some of them there is a chance it will misfire on yours.

you can't be serious in saying that... you're still implying that the software may misfire on his computer even though you didn't say it. that's a pretty vague statement considering you could probably say that for all PC software. so you used it on 1 or 2 computers, out of the millions of machines that are out there, and it didn't work so you don't recommend it? that's just ridiculous, regardless of how much experience you have.

graphics drivers throw errors all the time, thousands of different problems, so you can't justify DS as bad software when you only used it twice and didn't pin-point the problem.

again you have managed to ignore what i actually said. and once again notice the "my opinion" and "my 2 cents". I think manually updating is better than driver sweeper, or any 'all in one' for that matter. if you like it then use the damn thing! why is my misfortune with that program any less valid than your success with it? i have used it twice and it didn't work, additionally i have had customers who have used it to be met with a failed install, and a frozen install cycle and resulting problems. Dustin asked for opinions and recommendations, i gave mine, and yours is different. christ do you own stock in DS? why is it that you seem hell bent on not letting me have my opinion of this software? if it works for you great.

graphics drivers throw errors all the time, thousands of different problems, so you can't justify DS as bad software when you only used it twice and didn't pin-point the problem.

well it didn't work when DS was used repeatedly, but a manual install worked just fine. seems rather pinpoint to me.

DS is not intended to replace regular uninstall procedures. You're supposed to only run the application when the normal process fails, or if you experience other problems and need to remove all associated files. So saying "manually updating is better than driver sweeper" doesn't make any sense. It's not an alternative for uninstalling video drivers in Windows. In fact, the software is defined as "a fast tool to remove driver leftovers from your system." So with that anyone who has problems with the software because they are using it to uninstall drivers as opposed to the Add/Remove Programs panel is using it improperly.

I respect you have an opinion and I'm not ignoring what you're saying, but if you don't even use the software correctly you're not helping the OP at all...

DS is not intended to replace regular uninstall procedures. You're supposed to only run the application when the normal process fails, or if you experience other problems and need to remove all associated files. So saying "manually updating is better than driver sweeper" doesn't make any sense. It's not an alternative for uninstalling video drivers in Windows. In fact, the software is defined as "a fast tool to remove driver leftovers from your system." So with that anyone who has problems with the software because they are using it to uninstall drivers as opposed to the Add/Remove Programs panel is using it improperly.

I respect you have an opinion and I'm not ignoring what you're saying, but if you don't even use the software correctly you're not helping the OP at all...

well no kidding, why do you assume im not using correctly?.....my you are presumptuous.
from their home page:

Driver Sweeper allows you to remove driver leftovers from your system. It's very important to remove your drivers on a proper way, because driver leftovers can cause problems like stability and startup problems. You can use it if you want to update/remove drivers from your system.

Just for grins, I gave it a try again to the same result, froze up, didn't remove anything I asked it to, and left me ummm...mouseless after restart. (and yes i did check the correct boxes)
like I said, if it works for you great! but why you would seem to make my opinion more anecdotal than yours is beyond me. and as I stated very clearly from post one, it was my opinion...and my 2 cents worth.

i see both of ur points but in my experience EXCellR8 i have used DS to remove the drivers every time forgoing the uninstall process all together and i have never ran into a problem. Although i have ran into problems with drivers if i just use the add/remove program hence why i use DS every time. Red i see your point completely and your op is justified i have used DS though on multiple computers and have never encountered a problem so i dont know why it is not working for you. there is another driver software that i believe is better but i have not used it. As far as i can see its up to the OP what he wants to do :)

i agree Klep, the problem here as I see it is that I have a bigger cross section of experience with DS and have seen problems (just like the one I had an hour ago when i attempted it again) hey if it works for you, great. I just don't like being misquoted("it doesn't work") for example. I merely offered my opinion on the software. :)

i agree red (i was just stating in my experience i havent had a problem with said software) although there is an instance for every software no matter how well mad that it doesnt work right with certain software or hardware :) also i have found that most of the time if it does mess up it is the cause of some antivirus software aka norton cough cough but thats just my experience.

Dustin imo only use DS if you are having problems with games lagging when they didnt before a driver update or you encounter errors otherwise stick with the good old way :)

also i have found that most of the time if it does mess up it is the cause of some antivirus software

I thought that as well, and disabled my anti-virus before using it. i don't know what it is that it wont get along with some setups, could be a thousand different things. every version they release they do have 'bug fixes' :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back