Driver_irql_not_less_or_equal

Status
Not open for further replies.

m.erin33

please help! three different times now, in the midst of working, my computer screen goes blue and displays the following error message:

driver_irql_not_less_or_equal
address bfda1ce6 base at bfda1000 (i didn't have time to get the rest of it down)

it then says "backing up" and counts to 100 before restarting itself.

what is causing this? can i fix it?

thanks so much!

This error can occur on almost any Microsoft OS. It indicates a problem with hardware, software, upgrades, software incompatibilities, connecting two machines, shutting down .....
So you see, we need more information.
What OS are you running - XP, Vista, Server 2000 or 2003, NT?
What kind of machine - laptop or desktop?
Have you recently upgraded your OS, installed a service pack, added software, that sort of thing?
Have you recently added hardware?

(i didn't have time to get the rest of it down)
Damn you missed the driver that's actually at fault

I'd say it's one of your programs installed doing it
When the Blue Screen happens again, just write down the whole line
Or just search your computer for the driver specified (at the end, that you missed)
When you find the driver, it should help you work out what program it is.
At a guess I'd say Network or CD Burning software. (a real guess here!)

thank you both for your replies!

hi ruthe -
i have Windows 2000 Professional. it is a desktop computer. i have not recently upgraded my OS or installed a service pack. i have downloaded some small software programs recently. i have not added any new hardware recently. (i did install a new CD/DVD drive and connect my computer to a linksys wireless router/modem maybe 4 months ago? i believe the first time i saw the error message was at least a month or two after both of these things though.) i saw it about three weeks ago for the first time, then i saw it twice last week (a few days apart).

hi kimsland -
if the message comes up again i will be sure to note the rest of the error message! i will also look into all recently installed software. it could be a network issue if it is the linksys causing it?

this could be irrelevant, but the last two times it happened i had quite a few programs open at once. i wasn't sure if i was just maxing out my memory or something?

also any software downloaded off of the internet is suspect, and can cause problems. the software may not be bad but the download could be.

it did it again!

the rest of the message was BFDA1CE6 base @ BFDA100C....WCG20V2.SYS

i've attached some mini dumps too. hope that helps.

please help me figure out what to do to fix this.

thank you!!

Are you running anything Linksys? 0xD1 errors of which all 4 of your minidumps read are caused by faulty drivers or buggy software.

In this case it is driver WCG200V2.sys (cited in all four minidumps) which belongs to Linksys. There is very little on the internet concerning this driver and it took an advance search to find any information at all.

Update your drivers and see if that stops the BSODs.

Route44 I haven't checked the Minidumps, and the search for "WCG20V2.SYS" came up with nothing.
If this is a driver for Linksys, would that mean that a Linksys device is connected via USB? And if so, it may be just a matter of uninstalling the Linksys drivers fully and then connecting via ethernet (preferred)
Ethernet does not use any extra manufacture drivers

In any case, I would suggest to rename the "WCG20V2.SYS" file (you will need to run a search for this driver) to "WCG20V2.OLD"
If your network suddenly stops after restart, then it would be confirmed that it is to do with the network router.

i do have a linksys modem/router.

i have already un-installed and re-installed the driver (the one that came with it, haven't looked for an updated one). that did not solve the issue.

it is connected via usb. i will try connecting it via ethernet cable instead.

i really appreciate the help!

m.erin33 keep us up-to-date if that helps bring stability.

kimsland, I, too, tried a regular google search and came up with zilch. So I decided to do the advance search option provided by google and I worded it like this: "WCG200V2.sys error"

Sure enough an extremely limited number of options returned but there was, nevertheless, this driver connected to Linksys modem/router and as well with their wireless options.

thank you all for your ideas!

i've been really busy and hadn't gotten a chance to play with it at all. today i was going to try connecting the modem via ethernet instead USB, but that does not seem to be an option. it is a "Linksys Wireless-G Cable Gateway Modem/Router/USB/4-Port Switch". it has 4 ethernet slots but they seem to be output only. after connecting an ethernet cable to my computer and disconnecting the USB my computer wouldn't register that it was there at all (could not connect to the internet).

i'm looking online for an updated driver now.

i'm starting to think i should just get rid of the thing (linksys) and get something new. all of the problems i've had recently seem to be related to this. also the wireless router part of it is crap. i can connect to the internet on my laptop but it constantly disconnects.

i figured out how to make it work connected via ethernet cable instead. (just had to restart i guess).

haven't had the problem yet since. hopefully that solves the problem! i really appreciate all of your suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back