160 gig western digital HD
16 bit soundcard
Asus P5GC-MX/1333 Socket 775 Motherboard
2gigs ddr2 ram
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E7200 - BX80571E7200
SATA DVR-2910A5PK DVD-/+RW Drive
BFG 8400GS PCI-E 512MB Video Card
Rhino Panther 450W ATX Power Supply\

after i installed windows, i began installing drivers... i wet video card first.. when i installed those drivers.. the diaplay was set at 600x800, 4bit color.. i couldnt raise it. i found uninstalling the drivers fixed that problem. i then tried to install the mobo drivers.. but the setup gave me an error saying it could not open the setup file.. so i browsed disc contents and when i found the setup file... it gave me another error saying that the file was the wrong type of applicatiion... so from there i asked a friend of mine for advice.. he told me to re-install windows and do the mobo drivers first thing.. i did that, but wound up with the same errors as before, i looked carefully at the driver instructions, which told me i needed windows xp service pack 1 first. i went back, installed the sp, and tried again.. but no progress. if anyone could help, that would be greatly appreciated!

i looked carefully at the driver instructions, which told me i needed windows xp service pack 1 first
Not exactly !

You need Minimum SP1
But... You should actually have Minimum SP2 (most drivers NEED this)
Ideally SP3 if you really must know

Please press the GO button, to update all your drivers

Some Service Pack (SP) will pop out a warning message in your default browser, under the address bar
Click on the message "Install ActiveX Control" to continue the installation.

Not exactly !

You need Minimum SP1
But... You should actually have Minimum SP2 (most drivers NEED this)
Ideally SP3 if you really must know

Please press the GO button, to update all your drivers

Some Service Pack (SP) will pop out a warning message in your default browser, under the address bar
Click on the message "Install ActiveX Control" to continue the installation.

actually, i do have sp3 installed right now... it still wont work... and does that "go" button install all the necessary drivers?

It should take you to all your Downloads for your Asus system
From there you can select any/all drivers to download and install

It's a clean install with SP3, and you have downloaded all the drivers and the drivers fault (during install I think?)

Other than Virus/Malware or Hardware issue. The only other option is you have installed faulty drivers already.
You can use Add/Remove programs to uninstall any drivers not correct for your system
Or use DriverSweeper to remove them
Or even go to Device Manager, to select and remove them (Start->Run-> devmgmt.msc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back