Drone captures first look at Apple's new "spaceship" campus

Shawn Knight

Staff member

It’s been nearly a year since the Cupertino City Council approved Apple’s plans to build a massive new campus not too far from the company’s current headquarters. Since that time, we’ve heard nary a whisper about the project’s progress thanks largely in part to Apple’s efforts to keep curious eyes out of the construction site.

That all changed recently as YouTuber jmcminn strapped a GoPro Hero 3+ Black edition camera onto his DJI Phantom 2 drone to capture some aerial footage of the progress being made to Apple’s new campus.

What’s immediately noticeable is the sheer size of the campus. Sure, you may have seen drawings and renderings of the spaceship-like structure and its surroundings but this clip really puts it all into perspective.

We can clearly see that the entire area has been cleared, much of the perimeter wall is already in place and crews have already laid out a few sections of flooring. Aside from that, there’s still a ton of work left to do over the coming year.

In one of his last public appearances before his death, Apple co-founder Steve Jobs personally pitched the idea of the new campus to the Cupertino City Council. The 176-acre campus will accommodate 14,200 employees and will be surrounded by an abundance of green space. The $5 billion project is expected to be ready by mid-2016.

Permalink to story.

See I recon they are secretly building an actual spacecraft underneath the building (thinking of that show doomsday preppers)

This isn't really being built by Apple - the NSA has teamed up with the Grey's (yes, they really have been here since the industrial revolution ie 'They Live').

If you look at the shape of the doors you can clearly see that they are designed for 'non-humans'.

Meanwhile, in the already completed secret lab thirty levels underground, Steve plots a comeback (and staff cuts) while overseeing his latest diversity hire...

zxOVAjtL2lz5jdn3zVvaPtYyo1_500.jpg

It is amazing what the profits of overworked Chinese children can buy....
Apple and Hon Hai probably see Chinese children as "Age and height challenged entry-level skilled trainees" - that's three disabilities confronted right there.

800px-Eastern_State_Penitentiary_aerial_crop.jpg

OK, so they sanded off the corners of Eastern State Penitentiary, and reinvented the wheel.

Apple and Hon Hai probably see Chinese children as "Age and height challenged entry-level skilled trainees" - that's three disabilities confronted right there.
They never seem to include them in their diversity stats. I wonder why?

OK, so they sanded off the corners of Eastern State Penitentiary, and reinvented the wheel.
That would make it the Apple iPanopticon?
If you add Hon Hai's 1,000,000+ workforce to the demographic I'm figuring Apple wouldn't want it's minority middle-aged male WASP employees to feel uncomfortable.

I feel the actual story seems to missing the larger point. A drone managed to successfully overfly Apple territory without being shot down.

Hahaha

True diversity, where age is not discredited.
I feel the actual story seems to missing the larger point. A drone managed to successfully overfly Apple territory without being shot down.
Did you see anyone working? Proves my theory that Apple employees live in a whole different dimension.

That would make it the Apple iPanopticon?
Indeed it would! It would also make the employees, "iNmates".
If you add Hon Hai's 1,000,000+ workforce to the demographic I'm figuring Apple wouldn't want it's minority middle-aged male WASP employees to feel uncomfortable.
Tim Cook could fill a void in the children's lives. A sort of cross between a, "Great White Father", and Chairman Mao. All that's left is to get them all reading a little red book with the "Apple" logo on the front titled, "The Press Release Quotations of Chairman Tim".
The phaser turrets should be in place before anybody gets a chance to try a second flyover.

Last edited:
Did they build the campus by machining a (huge) single billet of aluminium too? just like other apple products? :D

Reminds me of Mos Eisley.

"Obi Wan : You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious."

Last edited:
Reminds me think of Mos Eisley.

"Obi Wan : You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious."
Nah, it's "Farpoint Station" from Star Trek Next Generation.
Farpoint_station.jpg

Except in this case, Apple is sucking their energy from the entire Country of China.:D

Here's the interior view:
800px-Presidio-modelo2.JPG

It should've been built on higher ground so that iExecs could gaze down upon their subjects grovelling all around them fighting for the crumbs from their table.

Back