Drone manufacturer DJI accused of spying on US critical infrastructure

William Gayde

Staff

According to a report generated by Los Angeles-based intelligence agents, the Department of Homeland Security has a strong reason to believe that drone manufacturer DJI is spying for the Chinese Government on pieces of critical infrastructure in the US.

The memo was created by the Immigration and Customs Enforcement bureau back in August but is just now surfacing publicly this week. They believed Chinese-based Da Jiang Innovations (DJI) is stealing sensitive infrastructure and law enforcement data to covertly send back to the Chinese Government. Part of the report reads:

SIP Los Angeles assesses with moderate confidence that Chinese-based company DJI Science and Technology is providing U.S. critical infrastructure and law enforcement data to the Chinese government. SIP Los Angeles further assesses with high confidence the company is selectively targeting government and privately owned entities within these sectors to expand its ability to collect and exploit sensitive U.S. data.

The report goes on to specify which targets the Chinese Government has been attempting to spy on and they are certainly concerning. The list includes railroads, utilities, drinking water systems, and hazardous material storage facilities.

DJI has denied the claims stating to the New York Times that the report is "based on clearly false and misleading claims." They said that their users are able to control what data is uploaded to the company's servers in China. They have recently added a feature allowing pilots to cut all outside internet connections while the drone is flying.

While DJI makes many drones for hobbyists, these claims are focused on their commercial line where DJI has a nearly two-thirds market share.

Lead photo credit: Kin Cheung / AP

Permalink to story.

Seriously what would be the point of this, when we have Google Street View putting our entire country on a panoramic map? A map of which that would explain everything in the accusations.

Seriously what would be the point of this, when we have Google Street View putting our entire country on a panoramic map? A map of which that would explain everything in the accusations.
It's claimed that the cameras in the SR-71 were able to read a license plate from 80,000 feet in altitude. Those were replaced by spy satellites. You can also go to a city hall and pull the plans for building designs which were filed at the time of the permits being issued.

And then there is the illegality of unauthorized aircraft flying in restricted and military airspace.

Did you know China pays American universities to suppress free speech? They do this too.
What inhibits free speech more than anything in this country, is the current pervasive climate of hyperbolic uber political correctness.

You can say whatever you want, just don't expect to be protected from the backlash of your words. Free Speech don't mean you can use racial slurs without people disliking you.

You can say whatever you want, just don't expect to be protected from the backlash of your words.
Well, many people don't like me now, so I think I can live with that. (y). Plus, I don't go near Twitter or Facebook, and I don't have a job, so those I might offend with racial slurs, really don't have much leverage on me.

In fact, being the last Caucasian American (*) on my street, sometimes exposes me to prejudice, dislike, mistrust, and suspicion, from my predominately black neighbors.

Free Speech don't mean you can use racial slurs without people disliking you.
"Free speech doesn't mean.....[ ]....". By my reckoning, the dispensation of "wisdom", should include the ability to correctly conjugate the verb, "do".

Moving on, you can use all the racial slurs you want, and some segments of the population will love, worship, and throw money at your feet for doing so.or it. The trick is, you need to be of the same race as the slur is intended to offend, and summarily declare., "it's not a racial slur when we use it on one another.

Dude get a grip. I hear "the "N" word" more than a hundred times a day. And while the people using the most forbidden pejorative, may gun one another down in the streets, they don't consider the word itself disrespectful. :D

(*) To whom it may concern: In the future I insist that you, get with the times, do the politically correct thing, and concede to my wishes to be referred to as a, "Caucasian American", instead of "old haid mutha f**kuh", or any similar pejorative.

Last edited:
Well, many people don't like me now, so I think I can live with that. (y). Plus, I don't go near Twitter or Facebook, and I don't have a job, so those I might offend with racial slurs, really don't have much leverage on me.

In fact, being the last Caucasian American (*) on my street, sometimes exposes me to prejudice, dislike, mistrust, and suspicion, from my predominately black neighbors.

"Free speech doesn't mean.....[ ]....". By my reckoning, the dispensation of "wisdom", should include the ability to correctly conjugate the verb, "do".

Moving on, you can use all the racial slurs you want, and some segments of the population will love, worship, and throw money at your feet for doing so.or it. The trick is, you need to be of the same race as the slur is intended to offend, and summarily declare., "it's not a racial slur when we use it on one another.

Dude get a grip. I hear "the "N" word" more than a hundred times a day. And while the people using the most forbidden pejorative, may gun one another down in the streets, they don't consider the word itself disrespectful. :D

(*) To whom it may concern: In the future I insist that you, get with the times, do the politically correct thing, and concede to my wishes to be referred to as a, "Caucasian American", instead of "old haid mutha f**kuh", or any similar pejorative.

"In fact, being the last Caucasian American (*) on my street, sometimes exposes me to prejudice, dislike, mistrust, and suspicion, from my predominately black neighbors."

This is pretty natural human behavior. People predominately look for groups similar to themselves to associate with, subconsciously or otherwise.

"Moving on, you can use all the racial slurs you want, and some segments of the population will love, worship, and throw money at your feet for doing so.or it. The trick is, you need to be of the same race as the slur is intended to offend, and summarily declare., "it's not a racial slur when we use it on one another."

No, it's more about the intent of the word. The N word was used by white slave owners to belittle blacks while blacks used it as a sign of camaraderie between each other. It means two completely different things based on the speaker. If you haven't noticed, who is speaking is important in the intent of the word. The meaning of the N word would change, like oh so many words have, if white people stopped using it to insult blacks.

"To whom it may concern: In the future I insist that you, get with the times, do the politically correct thing, and concede to my wishes to be referred to as a, "Caucasian American", instead of "old haid mutha f**kuh", or any similar pejorative."

You are about 9 years late to the PC party and it has already passed.

"In fact, being the last Caucasian American (*) on my street, sometimes exposes me to prejudice, dislike, mistrust, and suspicion, from my predominately black neighbors."

This is pretty natural human behavior. People predominately look for groups similar to themselves to associate with, subconsciously or otherwise.
Yeah, I know. It's called ethnocentrism. (Unless whites are doing it, then it's called "discrimination", or possibly, "racism").

And what most people don't get, is the fact the African Americans also use that "N" word, to mock the white race no longer being allowed to use it. But you, like so many very gullible.others have bought into the idea of "no ill intent", when blacks are spouting it relentlessly. To put it in simpler terms you might, "be able to wrap your head around", (as the children say), blacks enjoy using the "N" word ever so much more, now that whites can't.

IMHO, the term is offensive, no matter from what color mouth it originates.

We went through this before. I'm good with you disagreeing with me, arguing with me, and not sharing any belief system with me, or simply not liking me. But, I'm really fed up with your crap method of quoting me.

It appears you're too lazy, too inept, or too rude (*) to copy and paste the attribution block, and then typing, "[/quote]" after the post segment.

(*) Keep in mind I'm actually good with certain aspects of rude, just not ,this one.

BTW: Microcenter is having a sale on Samsung 850 EVO 256 GB SSDs (79.95, walk in only which (allegedly) ends 12-3).

I just bought two. One will go into my 8 year old i3-530 Clarkdale rig. I want to get that nasty HDD outta there, so I don't get accused of, "being 8 years late for the politically correct "C:/" drive party". :p

Last edited:
Another big nothing burger. Any person can get Internet-based mapping application to learn anything they want to know.

Yeah, I know. It's called ethnocentrism. (Unless whites are doing it, then it's called "discrimination", or possibly, "racism").

And what most people don't get, is the fact the African Americans also use that "N" word, to mock the white race no longer being allowed to use it. But you, like so many very gullible.others have bought into the idea of "no ill intent", when blacks are spouting it relentlessly. To put it in simpler terms you might, "be able to wrap your head around", (as the children say), blacks enjoy using the "N" word ever so much more, now that whites can't.

IMHO, the term is offensive, no matter from what color mouth it originates.

We went through this before. I'm good with you disagreeing with me, arguing with me, and not sharing any belief system with me, or simply not liking me. But, I'm really fed up with your crap method of quoting me.

It appears you're too lazy, too inept, or too rude (*) to copy and paste the attribution block, and then typing, "

"And what most people don't get, is the fact the African Americans also use that "N" word, to mock the white race no longer being allowed to use it. But you, like so many very gullible.others have bought into the idea of "no ill intent", when blacks are spouting it relentlessly. To put it in simpler terms you might, "be able to wrap your head around", (as the children say), blacks enjoy using the "N" word ever so much more, now that whites can't."

You are assuming something for an entire ethnicity. What's written here is nothing more than your personal conjecture. When you assume they use it to "mock the white race" you tell us more about your own prejudices than somehow speaking for every black person, which isn't possible through your mouth.

"We went through this before. I'm good with you disagreeing with me, arguing with me, and not sharing any belief system with me, or simply not liking me. But, I'm really fed up with your crap method of quoting me.

It appears you're too lazy, too inept, or too rude (*) to copy and paste the attribution block, and then typing, "[/quote]" after the post segment."

Free country, I'll quote as I please.

"BTW: Microcenter is having a sale on Samsung 850 EVO 256 GB SSDs (79.95, walk in only which (allegedly) ends 12-3).

I just bought two. One will go into my 8 year old i3-530 Clarkdale rig. I want to get that nasty HDD outta there, so I don't get accused of, "being 8 years late for the politically correct "C:/" drive party"."

SSDs are great, huge upgrade over an HDD. $80 bucks for one of the best SATA SSDs is a decent deal.

Back