Dropbox offers an additional 5GB of cloud storage to beta users

Rick

Staff

For users willing to be guinea pigs, Dropbox is offering an opportunity to score 5GB of free space through the popular cloud storage service. PCWorld is reporting the 5GB is actually in addition to the standard 2GB issued to free users, making the possible total for free Dropbox users a roomy 7GB. 

Some of you may also be interested to know that Microsoft's Skydrive is still offering 25GB of cloud storage. Despite the enormous amount of storage space Skydrive offers, limits imposed on the service have made it unappealing for many. Microsoft claims it's working on alleviating those concerns though, for what it is worth.

While the 5GB of additional space is technically free, there are a few conditions that must be met in order to qualify. Here's how it works.

To get started, users must download and install the latest "experimental" Dropbox client. You can download the Dropbox 1.3.12 client (beta) here: WindowsMac OS XLinux x86_64Linux x86

Next, users must utilize Dropbox's new automatic photo import feature to upload photos (see notes below). This beta feature is actually the reason for the promotion, as the Dropbox team is working to stamp out the bugs associated with it.

On your first automatic photo import -- any amount of photos will do -- Dropbox will give you an additional 500MB of free storage space. For every 500MB of photos you upload afterward, Dropbox will add an additional 500MB to your account for a total maximum of 5GB of added storage space. This amount is added atop the standard 2GB that free users already enjoy, so keep uploading photos and you'll have a healthy 7GB of free Dropbox storage.

Reportedly, the additional space you get from participating in the beta is permanent. However, if you would prefer to use your extra 5GB for something other than photos, you can simply delete them once you've claimed your new storage space. After the photos are gone, you are free to use the extra capacity however you would like.

Dropbox also offers up to 8GB of free space through its referral program. There is no word on whether or not this storage space will stack with the beta offer.

Some important notes from the Dropbox team:

• Clients 1.3.5 and earlier had an auto-update bug. Please install this version so that your client will stay up to date!
  • The photo import feature is not available on Mac 10.4 and Linux.
  • For Android devices, it's best to use "Connect as Disk Drive". HTC Sync will not work.
  • To import from iPhone, make sure to unlock your phone and enter your passcode before importing, otherwise it will claim to find no photos.
  • If importing from your iPhone on Mac gives an import error, try hard resetting it--hold down the power and the home button for 5 seconds. This will reboot the phone; it shouldn't change your settings or delete data.
  • On Windows, this feature relies on Autoplay. Please enable Autoplay to use this feature if you have disabled it.
  • On XP and Vista, it relies on the Windows Image Acquisition Service. If this service is not started, please start the service and reinstall Dropbox to use this feature. On Windows Server, you may have to install the Desktop Experience feature.
  • On Windows 7, newer devices that rely on Device Stage (in the Control Panel) will not show Dropbox as an import option until you select "Change Program" for the default.
  • The Galaxy Nexus takes a lot of time to connect on OS X because it likes to pretend that every image on the device is a photograph. We now estimate how long it's going to take and show you that in the progress bar but it's usually in the order of minutes. We're working to see if this can be improved.

Source: forums.dropbox.com

Permalink to story.

I ditched Dropbox in favor of Google Docs with Insync. You get 1GB of free space, but then you pay $5 a year for 20 gigs of space, as opposed to Dropbox which will cost you $10/mo for 50gigs. Unlike Dropbox, Google Docs does not use your friends space when you share a folder with them, and you can link directly files even for folders that you have already shared with others.

Plus, Google Docs gives you better sharing permissions for your files compared to Dropbox.

Skydrive? Bleh. No thanks. I don't like the way any of Microsoft services look and work.

Just something you guys haven't mentioned: if you're a student, you can double the bonus from referals. Currently I'm using a free 18 GB account, cause I popularised dropbox among many friends, most of which are now happy users.

Just something you guys haven't mentioned: if you're a student, you can double the bonus from referals. Currently I'm using a free 18 GB account, cause I popularised dropbox among many friends, most of which are now happy users.

Damn, wish I knew that earlier. I'm only at 3GB of space from a couple referrals, but I would have liked them to count for more than 500 megs each.

Friend of mine said the student bonus to referrals works retroactively, to bad I`m not in school anymore.

Ir you already have nearly full space with referals without using your student email? Have no feat, if you upgrade to 500mb per referal-it upgrades all the previous 250mb to 500mb :)

Yes, in other words, if you sign/state that you're a student, you'll get the bonus for referrals that you already have 250MB bonus and for future ones as well.

:D I guess the previous post had better explanation than my "clarification". Nvm. It doesn't matter if you already have the referrals. You'll get the bonus for each existing AND future referral.

If you put in your edu address it will retroactively make your referrals worth more ^^

My class in school has a shared dropbox account where we upload notes and power points and stuff, its pretty useful. It will be nice to increase the space.

I upgraded to the beta and I tried that import pictures/videos thing. It didn't work. Nothing got uploaded but there are definitely pictures and videos on the drive. I already tried taking them out of folders as well. Any info on how it works exactly and what file formats are accepted.

I have my school address with .edu and I haven't been getting 500mb. I have only been getting 250. Is there any way to KNOW that I have a student account?

Too much work... like a video game with no glory... and I don't have 5G of photos on my PC. If I were snap happy with a DSRL I can see how quickly those could add up... but nope... that hbby is on hold...

MrAnderson said:
Too much work... like a video game with no glory... and I don't have 5G of photos on my PC. If I were snap happy with a DSRL I can see how quickly those could add up... but nope... that hbby is on hold...

For the desperate, you can copy photos to a USB flash drive and use the Windows autoplay importer on it.

For the truly desperate, you can just use a handful of photos -- or even wallpapers -- batch resize them, crop, rotate, rename etc.. using something like Irfanview.

A couple dozen 1080p wallpapers resized to 200MB-300MB each ought to be considerably effective. :)

Thanks Arston, I hadn't gotten around to trying to find out where the edu upgrade was. Now I'm up to 4GB. Good thing too because I was at 78% used.

Dropbox is the first to give cloud sync in mobile. But now you can see many such app in market to competes Dropbox. One such app i know is FileReflex to share desktop to cloud

Back