DSL line - Gateway - Router - PC (internet)

Hi
I get this DSL line into my house. It goes to the "DSL" connection on a Thomson TG546v-v7 Gateway. Then, a LAN cable goes from the "Ethernet" 1 connection on the Gateway to the "Internet" connection on a Linksys WRT54GH Router. The Internet Connection Type on the Router is set up as Static IP.

I'v read that the Gateway is to communicate between different network layers.
But would it be possible to set the Gateway up as a Router also?

When I connect my PC to the Ethernet connection on the Gateway, I get no IP and stuff, making it impossible to access the Gateway. How can I access a Gateway, without knowing IP? :)

Hope you can help me eliminate the Linksys Router, and get the Gateway to work as a router also :)

Hey SirBlaBla. Your Thompson gateway is a combo DSL modem and wired mode router. Just connect your pc to one of the 4 LAN ports on the Thompson. You might have to call your ISP if specific settings need to be changed because you are using DSL. If your phone service comes in over this DSL line, make sure you use a splitter to split the signal, with one side going to the Thomson, and the other side going to your phone. If used in this way, make sure you use a DSL filter after the splitter on the line that goes to your phone so it removes the DSL signal from reaching your phone. This Thompson unit does not have wireless capability, so all pc's must be connected by Ethernet cable.

Back