Dual boot UNR 9.10 and XP (now xp no boot)

Status
Not open for further replies.

miken68

Installed UNR 9.10 on my toshiba netbook side by side with windows xp, now when i try to load xp from grub i get a blue screen error when windows tries to load.

stop: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x865C68C0, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)
is the error.

tried to boot from windows xp cd to access the recovery console....no luck still get blue screen.

stop: 0x0000007B (0xF7A8B524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) is the error

any help would be much appreciated.

can you boot into linux without any issues?
any strange noises coming from the drive? (knocking or ticking)
can you get into windows in safe mode?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103
the article talks about boot sector viruses. obviously we know that GRUB is the culprit here. It may not have installed properly. You will need to boot from the xp cd and access the recovery console from there you can run "fixboot" and then then "fixmbr" the computer should then boot straight to windows with no grub. from there you can try reinstalling grub to avoid a complete wipe of your linux system.

please refer to my first post, i've tried this.

cd boots loads setup files, but before it can load recover console... bluescreen.

the grub installation may have damaged the hard drive. according to the MS article above, since it could still be a driver issue try installing a third party driver (just before the windows setup starts).

aye, i'm working on that, but when i try to do it in the recovery console, it asks for a floppy...considering this is a netbook = headache.
Thanks for your time man! I do appreciate it.

Try using an external CD/DVD drive via USB, and use a Windows recovery CD. It should boot straight into Windows Setup. From there, you can be able to use the Recovery Console.

fixed it last night, ended up changing to hdd to compatible mode in bios and it started right up. too bad i did somethings and had to start with a clean install of windows, whatever. Thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back