Dual booting with a USB

I have a fairly simple question that I couldn't find an answer to. If you burned an ISO to a USB and made it so that you could select either Windows 10 or Scientific Linux from the BIOS, would you be able to use both operating systems after you take the USB out, or does the dual-booted operating system run on the USB?

Wish I could give you an answer. I guess it would depend on how the ISO is programmed. I know some load to memory. But that doesn't mean all of them do.

If you burned an ISO to a USB and made it so that you could select either Windows 10 or Scientific Linux from the BIOS,
I believe that DUAL boot is recorded in the MBR or partition 0 on the first bootable HD and that means that BIOS can't do what you desire.

If you have two systems, one on a USB thumb drive and the other on the HD, then the USB will need to be active while running that system.

Wish I could give you an answer. I guess it would depend on how the ISO is programmed. I know some load to memory. But that doesn't mean all of them do.
So a certain ISO could be able to boot without the USB it was installed with in the pc?

Second question: is it possible to achieve booting into a separate partition with Scientific Linux on it, not the C:\ drive where Windows 10 is?

So a certain ISO could be able to boot without the USB it was installed with in the pc?
Files are copied to memory during the boot process. So when they are run they are not dependent on the media they came from.
Second question: is it possible to achieve booting into a separate partition with Scientific Linux on it, not the C:\ drive where Windows 10 is?
That is generally the way many people boot multiple operating systems. There would be a boot manager on the partition (if not stored in the MBR). The boot manager would pass the boot process to the partition of your choice.

Back