Dual operating system

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 40gb ide hard drive which is my main drive, it has win xp pro on it. I also have a 100gb sata drive. I have put win vista on it but it will not boot up when i start all i get is a black blank screen. What do i have to do to run vista?

Not enough information to diagnose your problem at this point. Because based on what is given it should work.

The information needed should be something (but not limited) to this:
Was XP running before, did you begin the setup of vista from within XP or from Vista dvd?
What is your BIOS set to boot from?
Can you force XP to start if you choose it from the bios's bootloader.
Did the vista installation finish, did it even begin?

First, it's "Dual Boot", not "Dual OS"

You set the boot order in BIOS but if you want to boot from the other drive on occasion, you need to press F3 (or whatever your BIOS specifies) and then select with HDD you want.

I think you're thinking about a dual boot system on a single HDD where you are prompted on every restart. That is setup in the MBR for the disk drive.

-- Andy

Timeout

Wait a bit. Windows should be loading in about 30 seconds. Once you are into Windows Vista or Windows XP, click the Start button. Click Run. Type in msconfig. Click on the boot.ini tab. Click use modifided boot.ini. Change your timeout.

Wait a bit. Windows should be loading in about 30 seconds. Once you are into Windows Vista or Windows XP, click the Start button. Click Run. Type in msconfig. Click on the boot.ini tab. Click use modifided boot.ini. Change your timeout.

superty12, what you're referring to is the timeout for a multiple OS installations on a single drive. althebowler has single OS installation installation on each drive. That timeout doens't apply in this case. He/she needs to choose whcih drive to boot from.

-- Andy

I get it too

superty12, what you're referring to is the timeout for a multiple OS installations on a single drive. althebowler has single OS installation installation on each drive. That timeout doens't apply in this case. He/she needs to choose whcih drive to boot from.

-- Andy
No, I get this too on my computer.

You can modify the boot.ini to boot both on either drive after the recent install wiped out the ability to get to the first.

But the problem with this thread is everyone is speculating because the OP had a lack of important details in the post, and has failed to reply back with those details. Without more information its just shooting in the dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back