Dude I need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

dylanmurphy

so i was on myspace, when my government provided symantec said that a handfull of viruses was detected and that they were quarintened. the next message i got said that they were cleaned by deletion and my computer shut down, when i turned it back on my desktop was empty and my start menu and all the other fancy options at the bottom where no where to be found. the only thing that works is my documents menu and it only pops up when i restart my computer. any help at all whould be greatly appreciated. i have a dell inspiron 1501 with vista home basic. thanks Dylan

i dont seem to be able to access symantec to uninstall it, ill give it another try, what should i expect from starting through safe mode with networking as far as resolving the problem. also what would make symantec cause a problem like this, i dont know a whole lot about this kind of thing. thanks for the help

Symantec is not as good as it should be when it comes to doing it's job. I still have my Norton 2004 disk (I don't know why) which I never installed (came with the computer) because I've had bad luck with it and found Avast to be far better, and used it since. Some people think it's a memory hog, I just wonder why Avast (free) catches more than Norton ($ not free $). I've had a couple false alarms with Avast, but I'd rather have it that way. Safe mode won't be much different, your graphics will be basic, "with network" will allow you to access the internet. For now, to keep things simple, just disable Norton to complete the test, we'll worry about uninstalling it later. You uninstall it through the Control Panel, and there is also a tool available on this site.

im stuck on the "gathering required information" screen, been that way for almost 30 min, any ideas?
side bar- what would cause symantec to make my computer behave as described?

i was attempting to uninstall symantec and it has been stuck on this screen for a while now, it came up after i allowed the program to continue. should i just restart in safe mode?

i just checked and when i went to try again with the uninstall, symantec was no longer there. i am assuming that it worked.

ok so i uninstalled symantec and started in safe mode with networking and still the only thing that appears when i start up is the documents menu. i was surfing google last night and i read an article there that suggested i format the hard drive and re install windows, seems like that might be a little over kill if there is an easier fix that doesnt involve erasing all of my files, pictures and music. any suggestions?

one of the programs said that it can not install while in safe mode, should i restart and start windows normally?
i apologize for all the questions, i am not very computer savvy.

one of the programs said that it can not install while in safe mode, should i restart and start windows normally?
i apologize for all the questions, i am not very computer savvy.

Which program? You're probably safe to run it in normal mode if need be.

ok, just to update i downloaded the programs and ran them as instructed. i will postthe log next, but now after the last restart my computer is running perfect. i dont know if the problem is resolved or just temporarily fixed.
i believe this is the right link

now after the last restart my computer is running perfect. i dont know if the problem is resolved or just temporarily fixed.

First of all, this is why we stress that you have to run the 8-step procedure as stated.. That being said, you haven't posted all your requested logs and as for the Malware log, (keep in mind I'm not trained for virus & malware removal) it shows "no action taken" on everything found, so anybody can tell you it's not fixed. What I'm really wondering right now is why you're not doing what you've been asked to do on a number of occasions in order for us to help you? It has been clearly requested that you post ALL THE LOGS many times, but you haven't, so we have no way of knowing if you completed the 8-steps. If you need assistance, please do as you're asked.
:mad: If you don't need help, then we're done...:mad:

i apologize for the delay, i have been running the scans all afternoon since i got home from work and i still havent posted the rest of the logs. i appreciate your patience, ill post the other logs as soon as they finish
also i installed avast and it seems to be working overtime ill post its findings asap

Hi,

That's no problem, but we can only fix it when we have the logs.

Now you need to re run Malwarebytes. The problem wont have been fixed because you haven't taken any action again the things its found (No action taken)

Re run malwarebytes and then Check all items in the left hand column. If there's no tick the program will not remove it.
Re post the malwarebytes log afterwards.

sorry for the delayed reply, very pregnant wife. i will re run malwarebytes and do as instructed, thanks for the support so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back