Duros overhauls 8404 rugged tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Using almost any mainstream notebook or tablet display in direct sunlight can be frustrating and downright impossible. Acknowledging this, Duros has revamped their 8404 rugged tablet with an 8.4” daylight-readable LED SVGA touchscreen panel. The display boasts a brightness of 1,100 NIT and a 120-degree viewing angle.

In addition to the display overhaul, the 8404 now houses an Intel Atom CPU and a hot-swappable battery inside an IP65-rated solid-aluminum chassis. It can be equipped with Ethernet, Wi-Fi, GPS and Bluetooth and features up to 1GB of DDR RAM and 120GB of storage, Intel graphics, one USB 2.0 port and a vehicle dock. There is a boatload of accessories available, and you have a choice between several versions of Windows as well as Linux.

The Duros 8404 ships with a one-year warranty with an optional upgrade to two or three years. I see no word of a price on their site – but you know as well as I do that they’ll take you to the bank and back again.

Permalink to story.

When I was in the Army (Infantry) we were issued units similar to these. They took a helluva beating but kept on ticking! The display was defiitely tough to read in bright daylight, so glad to see they've fixed that.

Price will be a big concern for my consideration as I am not a huge fan of working with the Atom processor, although I acknowledge why it was chosen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back